MichaelD

Hello,

This is the largest game I ever had to code, and enjoyed it all the way. This is the story of a great evil that every few thousand years comes and wrecks havoc on our world. Now its time for you to stop it, or die trying. The gameplay is quite simple, and it features turn-based battles between you and the monsters, you have spells (cards of spells) and simple weapon attacks in your arsenal as well as an ultimate spell that can heal/buff you or attack the enemies.

You can play it here

campaignView_BG.jpg

Note that the game is still in Beta as it is missing some sounds. Feel free to comment if you come across any bugs or feel that there is something missing.

Thanks for playing!

aoe-attack.png

CARDS.png

Fight-Cave.png

Fight-DarkForest.png

Fight-Graveyard.png

Fight-Swamp.png

heal.png

MAP.png

Ulti-2.png

Edited by MichaelD

I like the presentation and I think it's a good game overall. You need to help the player understand what to do though. It's not obvious you sometimes have to click twice for an attack to work. It took me much too long to figure out.

It seems very buggy in the fights, or it just does not work as expected. e.g. selecting a card that should attack all enemies, I still only attacked one. this could be because I selected the wrong second card, but then that is something you should make more obvious. I once used the deal critical damage card and I dealt double damage for way more than 3 rounds, in other cases it worked for less than 3 (maybe because I used a spell and not an attack).

Thanks for the input, did you play the tutorial game before the main?

Also for the buff yes, it is only consumed when doing a "weapon attack"

Basically the attack for a spell, is as follows: pick a spell -> press the spell attack button (thunder icon one) (the picked spell is the one that is higher

you have to rework the controls in my opinion. their is no sensible flow to use them. e.g. after a fight, I have no idea which button will get me back to the map. I always click the wrong one (campaign) leading me to a page I dont understand.

In the battles I find it annoying having to wait for the opponent to select my next action. I could be doing this while he is attacking.

the tutorial actually confused me more than helped. for some reason I could select a lot more cards in the tutorial. The highlighting of what is what is also not that ovious. Then there is talk of a buff card and telling me to select it. Nothing happens if I dont, I can still continue. Or maybe I did, but I still did not understand what you meant...

I think your game has good potential and the game itself is pretty sound. It's more about getting the things around it up to par (I have a really hard time with all the gui stuff myself)

oh and I forgot: I hate the "attack random". why not allow me to attack who I want? It makes this way more luck based than necessairy.

edit: ok there is more I don't like. no matter how many enemies, only one will attack per round. So there is actually no advantage in being able to target, I must admit. but it also means it does not matter how many enemies there are. you could basically just show one enemy with more hitpoints. It looks more interesting with more, but there is no strategic difference. in the end the game is terribly boring, as you have nearly no decisions that actually influence the outcome. it's all based on luck, no talent, no brains.

edit2: the deal extra damage next turn does not work. if by default the sword does 18-21 and the added bonus should be 12-18, I shoud be doing at least 30 damage. that combined with critical hit special for 3 turns should give me 60 damage. or that is what I would expect.

and I just found a bug:
Uncaught ReferenceError: cards is not defined (core.js 1223)

function saveCards(newCards) {

if (cards) {
            for (var i = 0; i < cards.length; i++) {
                reg.unlockedCards.push(cards);
            }
        }

localStorage.setItem("vampyre-cards", JSON.stringify(reg.unlockedCards));
    }

• 2 weeks later...

Very beautiful game man! Love the artwork!

I am at work now so don't have much time to test it out but one thing you could add that I find very important is when you hover over clickable objects just change the cursor to a hand so that we know it's clickable.

var sprite;

sprite.inputEnabled = true;
sprite.input.useHandCursor = true;

Hello, thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

However I believe that hand cursors are a thing of the past (I might be wrong ofc) but since users with mobile devices (phones, tablets) don't rely on cursors to find which items are clickable, I think Desktop users can also cope without the change of cursor (some visual enhancement should be provided though to make it easy to distinguish which items can be pressed).

16 minutes ago, MichaelD said:

Hello, thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

However I believe that hand cursors are a thing of the past (I might be wrong ofc) but since users with mobile devices (phones, tablets) don't rely on cursors to find which items are clickable, I think Desktop users can also cope without the change of cursor (some visual enhancement should be provided though to make it easy to distinguish which items can be pressed).

For mobile you can scale-in the sprite onInputDown and when you release it, it tweens back to normal scale. Anything to make it feel like a button is appreciated for user experience.