How to contribute to Babylon.js

Temechon

Hello everyone!

I just finished an article about how to contribute to Babylon.js engine (the exact same process can be applied to the Documentation, or any repository).
It can be found here: http://pixelcodr.com/tutos/contribute/contribute.html

It talks about creating a fork, cloning it, setting up Visual Studio compiler, and create a pull request. If you have any questions about it, I'll happy to help :)

• 3 weeks later...

If I may... https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2 is just the cat's meow, the bee's knees.  Pardon?  Oh, umm... bee's knees are where they store their "sweet stuff". 

So... you know... this online book is...  good.  ;)   GIT into it.  GIT goin'.  GIT off your butt and learn it.  GIT on down the road.  GIT real.  GIT a clue.  GIT codin'.  GIT jiggy with it.  GIT down GIT funky.  GIT... okay, that's enough of that.  heh

who do I need to talk to get get access to it?  If not then I'm just gonna hyjack it from the hosted version and start modifying it on my own seeing how it is not minimized or encrypted.

I reviewed the script and I have more then a competent understanding of it and some revisions I would like to make and am inspired to create some pretty valid changes that will be both time saving and help with development.

let me at it let me at it please ^_^

**UPDATE**

I hope I dont get in trouble for this... sorry guys o_O anyways who host yoda?  I would like to get cross server access so I can save the files and such...  I mean I could always just hack access but Id rather not break the law today...  I already skipped over everything that had microsoft copyrights on it.

http://pryme8.github.io/Pryme_Playground/
https://github.com/Pryme8/Pryme_Playground

Anyways I will be extending the functionality of the playground so yeah... please dont be mad at me guys >_<...

https://github.com/Pryme8/Pryme_Playground/commit/53bd1f5a9d47cb66e7061a615c63194c791ac2d8

Please change the index.js file on the playground to reflect these changes, if you would be so kind.

(I hope Im not overstepping my place...), but I have one more feature I want to add... and im positive you guys will love it.

Im pretty sure I could gain access to the database but I dont feel like pissing Microsoft off,  for now if you wanna test a scene in my playground then just copy and past your code over and hit run.

fair enough ^_^, thank you sir for supporting my changes.  I will mock up my second addition now just wait till you see it you will love it.

And yea my playground is working, you just have to copy and paste a scene over.

I was wanting database access so that playgrounds could be saved and shared from my "prototype" playground just like it was a normal one hosted by you guys. (thats why im asking about yoda just broswing through really fast made me think thats the stuff that does the database communication i may be wrong though I have not dug in yet).

On a side note we should put it to a vote on the errorZone fading out after so long, because as a developer I often find myself hitting run before I click the X and now think i still have the same error... plus its annoying as **** to click that little X every time. with the new line and column notification you see the error, and move on to addressing it, clicking a box is irrelevant to the user experience and actually hindering.

How can I access the cursor position? is it just a DOM element?

Also when will we see the changes take effect in the playground, I just tested to see if the Col and Line is declared in the error, and it looks as though that change has not been uploaded yet (Im excited it sounds like you are implementing it)

Thank you so much this fix was nessisary!  I will be posting my plugin here soon which will work with your guys hosted playground and will be on the developer to include it when they make their scene.  But if they choose to include the string to attach my plugin they will get an array of tools and macros to increase productivity and will still be able to save their scenes.

Can you link me to the TOS I wanna make sure I don't cross any lines here.   Also should I bring down the playground git hub I made seince PG isnot open source and I kinda took it upon myself to clone it or is ok to maintain that for development of my plugins and features?

"Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your educational and non-commercial use. Unless otherwise specified, you may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information or services obtained from the Services."

here is the grey area... Technically I think this may mean I violated the TOU, who would I contact to get the "otherwise specified" status?

yea after reading the TOU I think I may have messed up.  I will take down the git asap.  Please don't sue me. I had no intent to sell or profit at all from this, I just was hoping the contribute to the project.

*** I deleted the repository.

I see the changes to the index.js but effectively am not seeing any change in the functionality.  If I intentionally drop and error I'm still not alerted to the line and col, and when I hit run again does not allude to their being a new or existing error...  I think it may be the regex that is not matching or something (i looked at it and it looks right so not sure), is their a reason to pass it through regex as apposed to just checking if the variable exists in the error return?  (im trying to learn so thats why I ask).

The whole point of my changes were to alert the user to the line of error in case its a scripting error and not a babylon.js requirement for the scene as those errors are not generated from the same error report and do not include line info.

I understand regex to be a validation method for input and sterilization, I mean I know it can be used as a query expression effectively but why waist overhead on scanning a string that should be formatted to a set standard;  even if someone injected a different value there would be no gain of any kind except getting a wrong value for the error?

What browser are you using it seems to not work on safari and Firefox Dev, I'll check if maybe I'm just being dumb or something. But from my test even on browsers that support the errorLine and errorNumber it's not popping up.  It's not a cache issue I don't store caches when developing.

instead of continuing to annoy you about it I'm gonna take what you did and see if I can get it working on my local and go from there.