Isometric tile rendering using pixijs / grapefruitjs

carterza

Hi all,

This is my first post on these boards, however some folks I follow on twitter post on here, so I figured I'd register.

I've been working, for a while now, on a multiplayer server (written in golang) and a client (written in javascript). I've gone through several stages of prototyping, and in the last stage I had the client and server communicating with each other. Players were able to connect to the server, they would be spawned in the game world and could move around.

My client in the last prototype was extremely simple, and consisted mostly of spaghetti code. I started hunting for frameworks and settled on pixijs and portions of grapefruitjs (I've cut out a lot of the stuff I don't need at this stage (audio support, physics support, etc...)) I have no idea what type of game I'm creating at this point I'm really just continuing to prototype and learn.

Anywho, I just got done writing the initial isometric tile layer rendering code, and here are the results (again using pixijs and large portions of grapefruitjs) :

BYhOTBSCUAA0uNh.png

I still have a very, very long way to go, but I am pleased with the results thus far. All of the assets I am using are from http://flarerpg.org/ (an isometric tile engine written in C/C++) and I have learned quite a bit from studying that games code.

I will update this thread as I progress. This weekend I will be cleaning up the code I've written thus far, and I will also migrate my repo to github. I also plan on starting to implement entities with layered sprites so that equipment can be equipped / unequipped and the game will reflect that (ala diablo or ultima online).

Please feel free to leave me any comments, criticisms or questions.

Thanks, and enjoy the rest of your Friday!

-Zach

hey glad to see other people interested in isometric rendering :)
I'm working on a similar project (actually now it's an engine we use internally for clients).

here is an outdated prototype I made supporting multiplayer, basic NPCs and chat : http://demo.ezelia.com/ 

the proto is one year old, we are now working on a more stable version with a nodejs server, and a new client supporting mobiles and tablets.

Feel free to contribute back isometric support to grapefruit. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I isolated the isometric tilemap changes over the weekend in an attempt to create some pull requests for grapefruit.

There's a change in TIleMap where the orientation of the map needs to be checked before TileLayer.render is called.

Then, depending on the orientation, TileLayer.render is called or a new method I added to TileLayer - TileLayer.renderIso - is called.

There are quite a few methods in TileLayer that need to be overridden so I'm wondering - would you rather have a IsometricTileLayer class or do you want the additional logic and methods inside TileLayer?

Other than that nothing much has to change - I can probably get a pull request into grapefruit later this evening if you're eager to review my implementation.

Please let me know  :)

I agree. I think putting both sets of logic into the same class, while they are similar, is going to confuse folks reading the code.

I'll go ahead and refactor this evening and get in touch with you tomorrow when the code is split up. I was going to try and get it all done tonight but I have some job work to finish up first.

I have some other cool stuff to show you that I've done with grapefruit and pixi - I should have a little alpha demo playtest up in the next few weeks that I can share along with the code of course.

Anywho, have a good one, will be in touch soon.

I agree. I think putting both sets of logic into the same class, while they are similar, is going to confuse folks reading the code.

I'll go ahead and refactor this evening and get in touch with you tomorrow when the code is split up. I was going to try and get it all done tonight but I have some job work to finish up first.

I have some other cool stuff to show you that I've done with grapefruit and pixi - I should have a little alpha demo playtest up in the next few weeks that I can share along with the code of course.

Anywho, have a good one, will be in touch soon.

Sweet! Feel free to send PRs or email me if you feel more comfortable ([email protected]). Be looking out for the upcoming official release (v0.1.0), though if you are using latest master that is pretty much it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Carterza, have you ever continued developing your project?

Have you created a github repository as you wanted to do?

Please let me know, I'm very interested since I'm starting now to look around on how to develop an HTML5/Javascript isometric game =)

Thank you!