Jelly Doods - Okijin Games

OkijinGames

Hi Everyone,

Here is my new game Jelly Doods.

Jelly Doods is a puzzle game with one simple rule: stick the same color jellies together. To do so the player can slide the blocks horizontally and vertically in the grid.

The current demo comes with 12 levels (the last 2 levels are much harder on purpose, the difficulty will be paced out evenly in the final version). I am planning to release the game with 50 original levels.

promoimage_small.png.bbe2932c9ff5ba913bb

Here is the video:

Link to demo: http://games.okijin.com/jellydoodsdemo/

Hope you enjoy,

Feedback welcome.

Wow, that is a slick looking game. :) I really like the graphics and the puzzles are pretty good too.

Having said that, it could be improved on a few points:

1. After finishing a puzzle, there's no "next" button, you first have to go back to the level select screen to select the next puzzle
  2. The way the bar on the left works is a little weird to me. I understand that it displays the nr of stars you'll receive, but why does it increase from bottom to top when you make more moves? I think it would be more intuitive if it starts out all filled up. And then the more moves you make it will decrease, to show that you'll get less stars, because that is also how the game rules works. Also maybe it could display the nr of moves at each dash, so you know what the minimum 3-stars moves are.

8 minutes ago, BdR said:

Wow, that is a slick looking game. :) I really like the graphics and the puzzles are pretty good too.

Having said that, it could be improved on a few points:

1. After finishing a puzzle, there's no "next" button, you first have to go back to the level select screen to select the next puzzle
  2. The way the bar on the left works is a little weird to me. I understand that it displays the nr of stars you'll receive, but why does it increase from bottom to top when you make more moves? I think it would be more intuitive if it starts out all filled up. And then the more moves you make it will decrease, to show that you'll get less stars, because that is also how the game rules works. Also maybe it could display the nr of moves at each dash, so you know what the minimum 3-stars moves are.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Indeed I will add a "Next" button on the level winning screen (that was laziness from my part).

The bar is filling up based on the percentage completed, not the number of moves (100 % being all color groups formed). For example if there are 4 colors on the grid, when 1 group is fully formed the bar will indicate 25%, 2 groups 50% etc... To be rewarded 3 stars you need to solve a certain percentage with a set number moves - this number is not indicated and your suggestion to set it on the bar is good. I choose this approach because I wanted the player to feel that he is "earning" as oppose to "losing" something (stars) when progressing.

The levels 11 and 12 are hard on purpose with 20-30 moves (I was demoing the game to some publishers and wanted to see the depth of the game difficulty - these levels will be appearing much later in the final release).

On 19/02/2016 at 9:18 PM, staff0rd said:

Dude, you only released a game like last week - how quick are you making these?

The puzzle pieces are very nice, they are procedural I presume?

I think I am too stupid for this game, I was already getting a hiding prior to level 11 popping up :D

Very nice work.

Actually yes I made this game in a week - still left with half of the levels to design. I am still waiting over the negotiations for native distribution for Zombies Can't Jump 2 (it is taking ages) so I decided to do this quick project in the meantime. I thought of the idea quite some times ago however.

And yes, the puzzle pieces are procedurally generated.

12 hours ago, IvanK said:

Hi! Your game is great :)  Can I ask you to insert a link to your game into my database http://www.spreadmygame.com/ ? :) Thank you very much in advance :)

Thanks, Your website looks interesting but I prefer to keep more control about the game distribution although I'd like to try it with another game :)

Thanks :)  To be precise, we do not distribute games, we distribute URLs to games. You have full control over the content of your URL, you can update the game at any time, add advertisment, redirect, etc.

In world wide web, anybody can publish a link to your website (or game), or display it inside IFRAME. We just want to make a database of "reliable" URLs and give developers control and responsibility for their URLs.

4 minutes ago, IvanK said:

Thanks :)  To be precise, we do not distribute games, we distribute URLs to games. You have full control over the content of your URL, you can update the game at any time, add advertisment, redirect, etc.

In world wide web, anybody can publish a link to your website (or game), or display it inside IFRAME. We just want to make a database of "reliable" URLs and give developers control and responsibility for their URLs.

Ok I see, in this case no problem I will check that out. Thanks.

Just updated the online version (http://games.okijin.com/jellydoodsdemo/)

- 50 levels are now available.

- An "objective" screen is now displayed to show the ideal number of moves to score 3 stars.

- A message appears to indicate the number of points needed for the Hint (was a bit confusing).

- The next button on level won screen takes you directly to next level instead of the level selection screen

This version is available for non-exclusive licensing. Feel free to contact me for a quote.

• 6 months later...