What HTML5 development softwares do you guys use?

MojoHS

I use brackets as my IDE for it's flexibility, and automated Gulp-tasks for as many other tasks as possible like atlas-generation, image-compression, javascript bundling, localhosting etc.

Visual studio is probably the way to go if you develop in typescript over javascript.

I'm on El Capitan with Sublime Text 3. I tried Atom for a solid two weeks but it struggles with huge files and can be a touch unresponsive (it's reported on the issue list, but apparently the file handling needs an overhaul). 

Frontend tooling:

• Gulp
  • Sass
  • Babel
  • Browsefify 
  • Codekit if I am being lazy

Backend/Management (some of this crosses into webdev world, but might be interesting..)

• Sequel Pro
  • Bitbucket / Sourcetree / Hipchat
  • iTerm2 (looking forward to V3 - awesome awesome update coming including drag and drop scp file transfer)
  • Transmit (tidy FTP/SFTP client)
  • Kaleidoscope - Great diff tool but struggles with file systems recently
  • Postman for API interaction

Art

• Photoshop

I am on Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 Cinnamon, use Firefox and Google Chrome for testing the game, following tools are used to make games:
Haxe programming language
Phaser game engine
Sublime Text IDE
Geany editor
Overlap2D level designer
buddy.bas converts overlap2d json to usable level code
work.sh custom build script
GIMP raster art
Photoshop raster art
WINE windows compatibility layer
Inkscape vector art
Spriter Pro animation
Linphone to contact other team members

I am considering moving from Phaser to HaxeFlixel if it proves to be at least as good in performance in more tests.

On 2/19/2016 at 2:40 PM, MojoHS said:

So you code in typescript? what benefits does this havee over lets say construct 2 or game maker?

Typescript isnt at all like construct or game maker, TS is a superset of javascript which compiles back down to regular ole JS that the browser can understand. Many of its features have now found their way into the latest JS specs (ES2015/ES2016), similar to how many features of Coffescript are now vanilla

If you code on your own TS has no advantages (infact, if you dont understand about transpilation it can actually be harmful, plus, transpilation is a bit of a pain anyway), but for large teams, or disparate teams, it can be useful.

No point learning it unless you are already fairly advanced with JS or your first job is with a team that uses it.

Right now, I'm still using the good old Notepad++

52a7af9a1bffd001130d78f0683e7cc3.png

I am a pro at holding down the middle mouse button and switching between files. :P I do it almost subconsciously now, and it's so MUCH faster than clicking on the tabs. I am addicted!!

Tiled Map Editor for map creation, node.js for the gameserver, Redis for in-memory db store (for scaling multiple node instances), Photoshop CS6 for managing images, some random sprite sheet packer for sprites and grunt for uglifying a javascript directory. 

I don't really use anything fancy, just the basic apps I guess. Also,  Windows 7 64-bit has been so reliable for me. Been using this same exact copy for about 6 years now. (Got a free version through dreamspark at college while back lol).

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention is WT-NMP! It's the best thing ever.  You can get it here: https://wtserver.wtriple.com/. It's very underrated and no one uses it, I have no idea why. One button, you got everything installed, and it's portable too. Copy just the folder to a drive, and boom, instant backup. 

d4bcf2b5c2daf8f87a6fce6ba5f4dcd5.png

EDIT: LOL, just looked at WT-NMP's page and they added Redis and MariaDB as well. Oh Lord, I should update!

On 20/2/2016 at 2:32 PM, cjke said:

How performant is Photoshop through wine? I'm tempted to make the jump to Ubuntu from OSX, but the Adobe suite is holding me back

Usually okay, with some glitches :D I am fine with that. But there is another way, install windows on virtualbox and made your linux workspace folder shared folder. Install photoshop on virtualbox and directly open and save files on the shared folder.

2 minutes ago, Rudrabhoj Bhati said:

Usually okay, with some glitches :D I am fine with that. But there is another way, install windows on virtualbox and made your linux workspace folder shared folder. Install photoshop on virtualbox and directly open and save files on the shared folder.

I'm really odd about glitches so it might annoy me too much. I currently run Win8 + Win10 via VirtualBox on the mac and the speeds just kill me. Either you have a beast of a box or you are a lot more patient than I! 

3 minutes ago, cjke said:

I'm really odd about glitches so it might annoy me too much. I currently run Win8 + Win10 via VirtualBox on the mac and the speeds just kill me. Either you have a beast of a box or you are a lot more patient than I! 

Windows 8 is a fat beast. Haven't used 10. The general rule of thumb is, use windows XP when you use Virtualbox. And then OS X is way more resource demanding Ubuntu on Cinnamon. Faster if you use Mate.

I'll say give a try to PS with PlayonLinux, most probably you'll like it. Else, virtualbox would surely work :P

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, jerome said:

Linux user

coding javascript and typescript (babylonjs dev) :

sublime text 2 (html + JS)

atom (JS + TS)

vscode (TS especially)

Do you archieve full Intellisense with sublime text 2 or vscode with babylonJS? Still looking for a good editor, vscode is really nice, and has some simple intellisense, but it doesn't 'sense' the parameters of functions, could you help me with that?

Cheers

yep with VSCode, just open the folder of your project, not only the file you want to edit

In this folder, you should have (or generate) a file named tsconfig.json or jsconfig.json depending on the language you are using... that's all : the editor reads this file automatically and makes Intellisense work magically ;-)

Can't remember how this file is generated with VSCode (it's in the babylonjs repo already, so no need for doning anything more when I contribute to BJS), but with atom, you only type in the atom console : create tsconfig.json file (autocompletion if not sure)

For ST2, if I need it, I just add a comment with the reference to the type definition file at the beginning

If you want to simply use BJS, maybe the simpler thing to would be to copy the babylon.d.ts file in your project folder and then just open this folder from VSCode. I guess it should work out of the box.

ex, works for me with VSCode here (just look at the files I use) : https://github.com/jbousquie/ArtilleryDuel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new to HTML game programming, but I have about 10 years experience building websites.  Right now I've just completed the basic Phaser tutorial, and I'm using Atom.io and the default Mac terminal with a command line Ruby webserver.  I'm hoping to make a game that's more profitable than my adventures in webdev.

I use Haxe/OpenFL on Linux with VIM as IDE (with code completion). Resulting HTML5 is excellent (also uses Pixi), and you can of course just use Phaser through externs. But OpenFL is so similar that you don't really need Phaser any more. And no more need for Cocoon/Cordova/Crosswalk/PhoneGap etc. Just compile native.

• 2 weeks later...