Multiplayer racing game idea

Gugis

Suddenly I felt nostalgic for old school racing game called Rock n' Roll Racing (developed by Blizzard). I tought it would be really cool to play it online, compete with other players. Then I googled that there is a remake for this game called Motor Rock but it was banned from Steam because of copyright violation. Now i am thinking about making such game for browsers. Not remaking it, just make a game with similar mechanics - cars, weapons, pew pew pew, explosions. Players could compete individually or in teams. Also there would be progress. Players could compete in the races, buy cars, upgrade it, found crews. When playing in team mode every team member would have different roles. It would be just like MOBA games except with cars. What do you think about this idea? Would you play this game?

Also I would like to hear tips on technical solutions. I think i would use babylon.js for client and node.js for server with cannon.js physics. But I'm not sure if node.js would handle it and if WebSocket is fast enough for such fast paced game.

• 3 months later...

I have a multiplayer browser-based game that uses WebSockets on a node.js server, and I find that the server can hold at least 25 people, probably more. As for technical details, you would need to have a nodejs server hosted somewhere like openshift, which would run a websockets library and handle requests from clients. WebSockets and Nodejs are a great choice and there are many games that already use these technologies.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

I was working on a WebGL racing game for a while, but it's currently on hold. Main reason is I don't think I can handle network and a racing game without network is just not that great. I am now working on a shooter based on the same engine. I do plan to go back to the racing game when I finish the shooter, but I am very sceptical about multiplayer.

The racing game still works, but the AI's don't all work anymore and you can only play one random track. It might crash, as I need to rework some of the scripts to work with the modified engine.

http://data.cyberlympics.com/html/game.html?param=CartRace_8

Overall Feedback was meh but my marketing skills suck