Zorbio - 3D Multiplayer Eat-em-up Alpha

Nitrous9

My friend and I have been developing a 3D multi-player eat-em-up game called Zor.bio. It's a WebGL game written in three.js. We would love any feedback you could give us.

Game Info:

• Game: http://zor.bio
  • Multi-player eat-em-up, eat food to get bigger and eat other spheres to become the biggest Sphere
  • Currently in Alpha Development

Looking for feedback on:

• Abilities, we have a lot of ideas about what kind of abilities to add but knowing what are the right abilities to add is hard
  • Multi-player performance specifically with dealing with lag with websockets
  • How to improve jitter we are using lerp to smooth out the sphere positions but sometimes other clients lag and jump around, trying to figure out why.
  • Any other feedback.

Thank you so much for taking a look!

Was really good, felt very smooth.

* Yaw: I'd quite like to affect my yaw/roll, particularly useful for 'dog-fighting' other elements

* Robots: Spawn some random AI orbs to try and eat you or to be eaten, of varying sizes/abilities.

* Speed boost/turn boost: Eat a special orb and get an ability for a short time, or just have these abilities linked to some sort of energy, dunno.

* Have larger orbs 'shed' food particles, this would just give a risk-reward dynamic i.e. as a smaller player it might be useful to sit near some larger, but potentially deadly, orbs picking off the stuff they are dropping.

* Local area radar: sure you've thought about this one, very useful for when engaged with an opponent, either chasing or evading.

* Bonus multiplier: get several in quick succession and get a bonus, obviously this gets easier as you get larger so would need balancing.

Obviously the game gets considerable easier (if growing remains the only goal) as you get larger, you need to do something to keep it interesting somehow.

I love it! But I got removed:

YOU WERE REMOVED

You were removed because you had too many size infractions.

You can report this on our github page

I had around 1200 points.

What I think the game needs:

-Better player control(zoom in, zoom out, change the camera angle without changing the player's position).

-Soft squishy ball player ( so the player will feel like a real stress ball).

-Improved graphics ( like custom materials : PBR).

-Improved collisions.

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, Jordgubben said:

This game has a very relaxing, almost therapeutic, atmosphere. Are you sure you want to make this a competitive game? I'm don't know how players would help each other out, but I'd prefer it if we could. Getting eaten by opponents kind of breaks the flow.

Thanks Jordgubben "Therapeutic" is a label we've heard from some other testers, so we've talked about making a separate "Chill" mode that's not competitive if you just want to relax and float around, maybe adding a element of co-op to this mode would be a good idea!

8 minutes ago, SET001 said:

Cat I eat that motherfucker in the center? Is 1500 is the maximum size?

Hi SET!

Yes currently 1500 is the max size.  However we are going to add the ability for smaller spheres to orbit larger spheres to drain it's size into their own,  so if the's afk, you'll eventually be able to eat him.

@Nitrous9 the game is so greate. I spend more that hour gowing to the top. I can suggest you to use PointerLock controls (https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/blob/master/examples/js/controls/PointerLockControls.js) so you players would not loose mouse on sudden movements.

Also something to manage speed needed. Maybe some ability to 2x boost for 5 sec. that will recharged in 1 minute or something like that.

2 minutes ago, SET001 said:

@Nitrous9 the game is so greate. I spend more that hour gowing to the top. I can suggest you to use PointerLock controls (https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/blob/master/examples/js/controls/PointerLockControls.js) so you players would not loose mouse on sudden movements.

Also something to manage speed needed. Maybe some ability to 2x boost for 5 sec. that will recharged in 1 minute or something like that.

@SET001 Thank you fo much for the kind words!  Yes we are definitely going to add a speed boost ability for a trade off probably trading size for speed.

3 minutes ago, SET001 said:

Also You can maybe add a counter of how many players was eaten in the score table. Something like 1500(23).

I also like this idea!  That will also sort who is at the top when multiple people have 1500 score.  So of the people with 1500 size the ones with the most player captures could be at the top.

• 8 months later...

Cool, just tested it out a bit. Works well but you should indicate somewhere how big the player is. I realized score is not an indicator for size when I over-used the boost a little too much, making me tiny again (which was a bummer).

Other than that the game seems to work really well and gives you a vastly different experience compared to Agar.io. It feels very spaceship fighter-ish. Nice work!