Marching Ants / Dashed lines

Estatematt

Hi all!  Attempting to create a marquee tool ala photoshop.  Traditionally this tool uses "marching ants" (example) to indicate to the user that they are making a selection.   This Link confirms that Pixi doesn't overtly support dashed lines.  Shame.  I just tried to use a tilingsprite as a mask.  no such luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Do you need freeform marquee or is it always rectangle? If it's rectangle then you could just use a sprite like "---   " where line is the line graphic and space is the spacing between lines. Then draw those with 4 tilingSprites and offset their sprite starting position. That would be a lot faster than drawing lines each frame.

@ExcaFunny I did sort of think of this but yeah I need the equivalent of a lasso tool.  For now I just have transparent solid, blendmode add.  In the old days they used diagonal lines and masked them. (like the example)  I did try that here but for some reason it filled the path even when I didn't ask for it.