[Video] The HTML5 Mobile Games Sponsorship Market: 10 Things Every Developer Should Know

Alexander Krug

Dear HTML5 developer community,

I would like to share with you my latest talk on Casual Connect Kiev about the The HTML5 Mobile Games Sponsorship Market: 10 Things Every Developer Should Know. I was talking about what sponsors / portals expect from HTML5 mobile game developers and what to avoid when negotiating and managing a licensing deal with them. In addition, this session highlighted the importance of picking the right business model and how to create HTML5 games to satisfy the licensee's needs.

Happy to take your comments and feedback. Do you miss anything? Please let me know! :)

Max 30 secs load times is pretty hard to achieve especially if you are making with game maker.

Haven't seen a big difference myself between people's GM games and non-GM games. Your game loaded within 5-6 seconds, for me. In the end it's all javascript. GM users tend to pay less attention to texture/memory optimization though it seems.

over 30 secs is too longer,player will not wait so long,but if you have a loading bar,that will be better.

btw, i can not see the video,I am chinese...

you could use some IP hiding services like hidemyass or ktunnel but beware if its illegal in your country~ *whistles*

(there are even some working firefox addons)

Can we please define it in terms of MB's? A simple haxe+openfl project produces around 1.5MB of compressed .js alone.

Great presentation, what I found most interesting is that since June developer supply has increased 10 times. Not too surprising, I'm part of the new wave myself :). So far I've made only exclusives games, but next week I'll have my first non-exclusive one ready, and I'd be happy to work with you Alexander :)

Great video. Thank you for sharing. 

Ozdy / Ahmed, for a network connection at 56KB/s (kilo bits /s) we have 7 kilo bytes / second so to download everything in 30 seconds the content should be under 210 kilo bytes.

Thanks for this info , Does download rates like 7Kb/sec exist?  Is there an actual standard we should be working to reach?

For example if the download rate is like 70Kb/sec we should be fine to have a couple of megabytes then , right?

My games usually vary from 1MB to 2MB , but my recent dressup game had to be 3MBs , or the quality of the graphics will be bad.

@Alexander : Please let us know if you know of some sort of a standard for this.

Also I have two other questions:

- What should the chances of replayability of a casual game be? Does players usually come back to the same game other times? 

- What's an average playing time for a game? Should it be a few minutes? Should I include ie enough levels in my game to be playable for a longer while than that?

Thanks.

Very nice talk! I would also love to know more about replayability and playing time in this environment:

@Alexander : Please let us know if you know of some sort of a standard for this.

Also I have two other questions:

- What should the chances of replayability of a casual game be? Does players usually come back to the same game other times? 

- What's an average playing time for a game? Should it be a few minutes? Should I include ie enough levels in my game to be playable for a longer while than that?

Video was pretty spot on, though adding audio is something I'm still skeptical about. I don't feel like I can use sound effects or music reliably on mobile yet.

No it's not. If you're making HTML5 games with load times that long in GameMaker you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, I don't think even the bigger games I'm working on with Game Maker come close to 30 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Here some answers on the questions which come up:

1) Loading time:

30 sec was an example. My intention was to make developers aware to try to keep the loading time as short as possible. Best example is: take ur phone, activate Edge, delete your cookies and check how long it takes until your game loads and how u feel. R u getting nervous / feeling unconfortable? Then better optimize it. :)

2) Retention:

Very important point! U should give users ALWAYS a reason to come back to your game. This can be done pretty easy for some game genres: Just give stars per level, so that I can challenge myself. Angry Birds is a very good example for this.

3) Playtime:

Our global average is 7 minutes. In general you should add enough levels and long term motivation into the game, so that people can re-play it for 3-4 sessions and it is still fun. I believe HTML5 is now past the point where people are just amazed by a simple match 3 playable in their browser. They want some deeper game and long term experience.

If anything is unclear, please let me know :)

Alexander

@Alexander

So audio in games is not really that important ?

About Google Web Font. Do the game need to download it during runtime or we can download the font and just package it together with the game so that the user wont need to download the font again at runtime ?

What do you think about Sprite Font ?

@Alexander

So audio in games is not really that important ?

About Google Web Font. Do the game need to download it during runtime or we can download the font and just package it together with the game so that the user wont need to download the font again at runtime ?

What do you think about Sprite Font ?

I think Alexander mentioned google web fonts for the sake of easing the fonts process for devs. Simply I think what he is trying to say is that they want it easier to add several languages , and having fonts saved externally is best way to do it :)

Thanks Ahmed. I'm not able to go into technical details but what Ahmed wrote already: for us (and for sure all the other publishers out there) it is very important that we're able to localize games without changing hundrets of grafics. The easiest way is to keep images and text seperated and provide a external file with all texts included. If u r using Google web fonts or any other tools, is ur choice :)

Any yes, I believe that Sounds are not that important right now as we still have a lot low end devices on the market. Sound just causing problems on some of them.

• 3 weeks later...