importing complex 3d objects from 3dMax

Kasun perera

Hi,

When exporting scenes from 3d max it permits only a vertex count lesser than 65### (eg:- 65535 ). It gives a error when exporting if this limit is over. But i want to export a scene with many complex objects that make vertex count limit of the scene exede. So is there a way or a technique to export such scenes for babylon .

That is well beyond the scope of most game engines. A model of over 60k points like that is over kill and could easily be brought down a bunch with correctly modeling methods.  Why do you need such a big model? If your absolute to needing something that big split it up, I'm not sure what Babylons limit is but I think unity was 60k.

This limit is due to a simple fact - WebGL vertex index buffers are 16 bit. meaning max 65k.

To load an object more complex than this you will need to divide it to two (or more) meshes. It should work correctly then. Of course the performance will not be that great, but WebGL can handle it. The question is how will your GPU handle it ;) 

No, I do low polygon art, I have done models like that but never went to full step to retopo them and get them set for game pipeline.

The video, I did all the models textures animations scripting ect, and I have a bunch of really good low polygon fantasy and scifi models that Im sitting on, that i need to get on my turbosquid at some point...

But basically there is no real reason to have models with that big except for very special instances... but even there are so many tricks and ways to portray the same effect but with tons less system resources.  what modeling programs do you use?  but like these spaceships are like 1k and 800 polys and the building was like 300 so you dont need a ton of mesh detail...

example.mp4

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

to give an illusion of a model with a lot of polygon, just use the normal map textures modeled on a low-polygon. 3000 to 5000 polygon  is correct for the low poly model and the normal map texture may look like to a model with 15000 poly visually.

dad has it right. the trick is setting up your topology so that the normal map reads over.  The best way to do all this, is to first pump out a high rez model, do a re topology on it then use a method called projection modeling where you build up your model with the good topology to match the high rez one.  You would then export the Normal,  Occlusion, and bump maps of the built up model, bring it back down to the low polygon version (it will still have the same uv) and now you have a game ready model that looks super detailed but uses way less resources.