confused about which framework i should use for a DOM based HTML app

Mike018

I've never made an app before and I'm fairly new to programming. Im just looking for suggestions on what I should use for a simple DOM based game for kids with no canvas. For example, an alphabet game where you just click on a letter, it triggers an animation, and then you click on an arrow and it goes to the next letter. Or a forest scene that can scroll horizontally, and you click on objects to trigger animations. 

To build for android and iOS, do I just use cordova? crosswalk? cocoonJS? Use all of them? I have no idea on which will be more performant in this particular case and easier to implement for a newbie like myself. Any suggestions? If it helps, I use SVG for the artwork and GUI and Greensock for animations.

I can tell you about my own choices for my game (in my signature).

It had to be all free to use licence, because I'm not a professional game developer, I only make games as a hobby.

I also only wanted a mobile game, so I chose cordova for the simplicity, plugins and I wanted to build locally (for that I can't use cocoon). To get a good performance I had to use crosswalk, it's available as a cordova plugin.

The game itself is using Phaser (2.4.4; 2.4.6 was just to early and I didn't want to retest everything again) for the webgl and physics, it's so good and simple to use that I never had a doubt about it. Although many of the elements are plain html5/css3/js, I chose to not use any js libraries like jquery just because I didn't need them.

Although it's not officialy supported by Phaser I use a lot of SVG (it worked, so why not?)

At the end I'm pretty happy with the game itself, it runs at 60fps on almost devices.

6 hours ago, bruno_ said:

I can tell you about my own choices for my game (in my signature).

It had to be all free to use licence, because I'm not a professional game developer, I only make games as a hobby.

I also only wanted a mobile game, so I chose cordova for the simplicity, plugins and I wanted to build locally (for that I can't use cocoon). To get a good performance I had to use crosswalk, it's available as a cordova plugin.

The game itself is using Phaser (2.4.4; 2.4.6 was just to early and I didn't want to retest everything again) for the webgl and physics, it's so good and simple to use that I never had a doubt about it. Although many of the elements are plain html5/css3/js, I chose to not use any js libraries like jquery just because I didn't need them.

Although it's not officialy supported by Phaser I use a lot of SVG (it worked, so why not?)

At the end I'm pretty happy with the game itself, it runs at 60fps on almost devices.

Thanks for sharing. I guess cordova and crosswalk is the way to go. I just looked at cocoon's how to use page, and their android launcher app is unavailable in the USA, and all other links are broken...so that makes the choice easier! https://www.ludei.com/cocoonjs/how-to-use/