Constants in PIXI (capitalized variables)

Hachi

Just to quote goodboydigitals blog: " PIXI.GC_MODES.DEFAULT = PIXI.GC_MODES.AUTO; " (http://www.goodboydigital.com/pixi-js-v4/).

Is this convention ok in PIXI code, to change variables that are (in principle) marked as "constants"?

I have already one convention of changing scale modes DEFAULT to something else, so that it works in all the situation with pixelation strategy. But I wouldn't want to do that as I regard that as a bad move (without yet coming up with a better way). In normal javascript coding standards, you wouldn't change variable that is capitalized to anything else, as de-facto it is treated as constant. So:
1) Is it ok to change those "constants" (any of them)? Or are they subject to be changed with the assumption that they should be and are treated as constants?
2) Why are they capitalized if they are also "supposed" to be changeable? So why not leave default as normal and others as capitalized?