[Early WIP] Platformer

permith

platformer.png

Controls (A+D/Arrows to move, F/J to fire, Spacebar to Jump).   Goal is to light all the lamps and kill all the enemies.

http://lostlocus.com/   The source is un-minified for anyone that wants to take a look(though I've figured out better ways to do some things, that I'm not going to fix in this game.   especially for object communication)

I wanted to see how far I could get using HTML 5/Canvas and without using any frameworks or webGL.   Pretty happy with the results so far and it even runs 'OK' on an 8 year old netbook I have(1Ghz 1Gig of RAM), so in the future I plan on eventually porting it over for tablets/cellphones with screen controls, from the looks of it after optimizing how many collision entities I have I could get a level 5 to 20 times larger without stressing low end system.

Eventually plan on making it something close a hub world that has portals to other levels, Adding moving platforms, some stereotypical puzzle elements, getting a sane way to load levels(right now it's pretty bad/funny), and doing something about the sprites.

Good work so far, considering you're not using any framework.

I like the character btw. Did you made her?

On 21/04/2016 at 10:39 AM, Milton said:

Feels unnatural to use space to jump. I would use up arrow.

Space is the default jump key in many games, I think the best solution would be allowing custom controls.

21 hours ago, Ciro said:

Good work so far, considering you're not using any framework.

I like the character btw. Did you made her?

Space is the default jump key in many games, I think the best solution would be allowing custom controls.

It's actually a pre-made asset.   I'll likely be replacing it with something original eventually, it's something I wanted that was a bit better looking for demoing animation.   https://www.gamedevmarket.net/asset/2d-character-ember-the-mage-2070/

18 hours ago, danyburton said:

It works fairly well for an early work in progress. I think it would annoy me in a finished game that you seem to be able to move in front of some walls but not others.

That's just me rather than the engine.   The game is designed so that each "entity" just has attributes shoved into it(No complex inheritance or similar, you just give it a new "has a" type relationship), so some of the graphics have a polygon attribute for collision and some don't(even the player is just another entity with an input reader, physics, and collision sensing).    So in those cases it's just me testing some things rather than what will be in a final level.

On 4/21/2016 at 9:39 AM, Milton said:

Feels unnatural to use space to jump. I would use up arrow.

It is designed so that eventually you'll be able to have custom controls, it's just a very early WIP.  

Right now my next things are getting up are level switching/loading, moving platforms, and triggers like switches/similar.  I'm probably going to be bringing the game loop from 2 MS up to 4 or 6 as well.