I intend to create an online course on making HTML5 games from scratch some time soon.

zeke_chan

I've been playing with this idea of creating an online course to help beginners learn HTML5 and Javascript. It seems to me there's a lot of frustration and struggle when it comes to actually making a complete game. Not just a demo showing some features like a double jump, making enemies move in a certain way or showcasing different weapons, but a complete game that is worthy of publishing.

Since it's beginner friendly, you won't need any background in design or programming or anything. The course will cover topics like coming up with good ideas, designing your own graphics and learning to code.

Making a game is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle and just like a jigsaw puzzle, the only way to figure out where the pieces go is have the entire big picture of what the finished puzzle looks like.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're a beginner, that's probably what you struggle with most... to have a big picture of what they're going to make and see exactly how each piece fits together.

Also, what if you could choose the puzzle and picture you want to work on? What if you could decide how you want your final game to be like so you end up making a unique game, different from the rest in the course? I don't want to create just another make a "Mario platformer", "Asteroids" or "Match-3 Candy Crush" style game.

To help you along, there will be videos, written tutorials, tonnes of code snippets to look at, and personal support from me so you can ask up to 3000 questions a month (that's 100 questions a day!). Just kidding about the limit =) You can basically ask any number questions 24/7 and I'll personally reply each one.

The course will be limited to 30... maybe a maximum of 50 people so you get personal attention.

I'm thinking of launching this sometime in the next quarter (July-Sept)?

The goal is to learn how to make your own game and to finally publish it for the world to play.

Who's interested? If you have topics you'd like to see, feel free to suggest and if it's a good fit for the course, I'll figure out how to work it in.

If you're keen, leave a reply below. More details to come =)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, very interesting I would love to take this course. I really like the Phaser framework. Everything you said about it being like a puzzle is how i see it hehe. I have a hard time pieceing things together. Let me know when the course it ready.

Thank you