[Phaser] Icy Babel

Rudrabhoj Bhati

1 hour ago, Umz said:

Simple to play and I like the concept. Would say needs a little more polishing and cleaning up, a few emitters for effect, but the idea is solid. I don't see why I never think up cool ideas like this :mellow:

Thank you for playing the game. Can you suggest changes ? :)

Can you suggest some effects? I have less experience with them...

4 hours ago, Rudrabhoj Bhati said:

Thank you for playing the game. Can you suggest changes ? :)

Can you suggest some effects? I have less experience with them...

Yes! Use the effects from the Phaser Emitter, when the ball lands on the platforms. A smoke effect or something similar and create a full smash if you land on the floor and die.

Add some movement to the background like a parallax background, slow moving. Just to make it seem more alive and active.

Perhaps some sort of indicator to show which direction has been pressed would be nice too.

And the colour of the ball exploding on the penguins house shouldn't be white, it's not visible.

I'd say the game plays beautifully, it just needs a few polishing touches to really spice it up. Make the menu's appear and bounce in for this type of game and make the background and UI elements more active because the game requires thought instead of rapid action. I think it's really going well :D

21 hours ago, Umz said:

Yes! Use the effects from the Phaser Emitter, when the ball lands on the platforms. A smoke effect or something similar and create a full smash if you land on the floor and die.

Add some movement to the background like a parallax background, slow moving. Just to make it seem more alive and active.

Perhaps some sort of indicator to show which direction has been pressed would be nice too.

And the colour of the ball exploding on the penguins house shouldn't be white, it's not visible.

I'd say the game plays beautifully, it just needs a few polishing touches to really spice it up. Make the menu's appear and bounce in for this type of game and make the background and UI elements more active because the game requires thought instead of rapid action. I think it's really going well :D

Thank for for the suggestions. Working on implementing most of them. Also giving ball glow when it is invisible and when it is in air. Also adding more sound effects. 

I didn't fully understand the menu part, I interpret it as the menu buttons appear grows in size and then return back to normal. Right?

1 hour ago, Rudrabhoj Bhati said:

Thank for for the suggestions. Working on implementing most of them. Also giving ball glow when it is invisible and when it is in air. Also adding more sound effects. 

I didn't fully understand the menu part, I interpret it as the menu buttons appear grows in size and then return back to normal. Right?

Didn't think of the Glow effect, are you going to use a Shader or do it in Photoshop and upload?

The Menu, bounce in effect. I can't think of a good example :wacko:

So it starts as a small box in the centre of the screen, grows to maximum size and bounces back a little then to max size again. Not sure if you get my meaning but the code is along the lines of:

menuBox = new MenuBox (10, 10);
Tween(menuBox).to({width:200,height:200}, 2000, Phaser.Easing.Bounce.In);

Code not tested, Just for illustration. The Easing handles the bounce effect. and makes the menu item more fun.

On 5/16/2016 at 9:54 PM, Umz said:

Didn't think of the Glow effect, are you going to use a Shader or do it in Photoshop and upload?

The Menu, bounce in effect. I can't think of a good example :wacko:

So it starts as a small box in the centre of the screen, grows to maximum size and bounces back a little then to max size again. Not sure if you get my meaning but the code is along the lines of:

menuBox = new MenuBox (10, 10);
Tween(menuBox).to({width:200,height:200}, 2000, Phaser.Easing.Bounce.In);

Code not tested, Just for illustration. The Easing handles the bounce effect. and makes the menu item more fun.

I dropped the idea of glow instead gave invisible and gravity reversing effects cool new sfx. Updated SFX. Added smoke particle effect. Added sound when you hit a platform from a certain height. Added some movement to the background to make it look more appealing. And yes added bounce effect to the play button. And many more things, try the updated version from the same link above :D

It's a nice game with a lot of potential. You could basically design an infinite amount of levels with the few elements it's got for the moment. It needs some tune changes from time to time but the music is pretty good and sticks well with the general theme. I'd say add some snowfall particle effect, and I concur with Umz suggestions. Perhaps change the background graphics for something less "drafty", like real photography, maybe passed through some effects or a rendered 3d environment, but this is entirely a matter of preference. it's quite addicting.

Edit: Displaying the current level in game screen would also help, else once you've cleared all levels it's confusing.

Edit2: Haha, the reversed gravity feature is super cool.

Cheers.

Hey guys I added a new background and added some more polishing. Major change other than background is, if balls reach the HUD buttons, it will become almost invisiblish transparent.

Screenshot from 2016-05-23 07-47-59.png

I'll update the main post with new images soon, for now I want everybody to see before and after. :)

Really like the new background too! It's nice. But you don't have to pick and choose, you can use both. But I think the new one is better. :D

You could also try a wave effect for the water if you're comfortable with filters. It would be really nice. ^_^ It's definitely showing great signs of improvement already.

Love the sound effects, makes it feel more interactive to hear things when you press buttons.

Another extra feature, just for effect, would be to add the stage of level name at the start of each level, and let it fade out. Or a quote, or something along those lines. It's just a nice effect, but not necessary.