The making of native-like HTML5 games

OkijinGames

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share this new series I am starting on Okijin Blog regarding the development an HTML5 game matching the quality and features of native counterparts.

http://play.okijin.com/2016/05/18/native-like-html5-games/

Hope you enjoy this series and if you have any question or comment, feel free.

All Best,

Fred

9 hours ago, PixelPicoSean said:

Thanks for sharing :D

My pleasure :)

8 hours ago, True Valhalla said:

I'm looking forward to reading this series. My current major project Dragon Depths is also an experiment into the potential of native-like HTML5 games. While I'm not convinced that these high-budget games can match the profit margins of smaller ones, particularly in the licensing market, I'm really interested in exploring new monetization opportunities and working to maximize retention rates.

These design challenges, when combined with the technical limitations of HTML5, make for quite a unique development experience.

Indeed, the threshold point is quickly met where profit margins may decrease as the game budget increases. In the native app world, revenues between any 2 games can easily differ by 6 orders of magnitude while on web portals the scale is probably much smaller regardless of the games so publishers are not able to justify a high variance in licensing prices. 

This is usually counterbalanced by more sales since a high quality game is likely to interest more publishers (admittedly it does not scale as easily).

As you said I also think there are more monetization opportunities in high quality titles and the real, perennial growth opportunities lies outside of the licensing market...

Looking forward to reading more about Dragon Depth as well.

On 20/05/2016 at 6:15 PM, Xavier said:

Another thing is creating a bigger game will probably be more fulfilling as a developer and can have the potential to turn into a series of sequels.

Indeed this opens up to a lot of opportunities over small game projects - although it is also more risky.

I have just uploaded the new part including a video of Sailor Pop in action.

http://play.okijin.com/2016/05/25/native-like-html5-games-part-1/

Video:

wow, it looks definitely native! my question are more technical so i'll wait for part 2. Maybe you should give numbers to explain the costs and revenues of the html5 licensing business so your reader get a better grasp of the situation.

22 hours ago, totor said:

wow, it looks definitely native! my question are more technical so i'll wait for part 2. Maybe you should give numbers to explain the costs and revenues of the html5 licensing business so your reader get a better grasp of the situation.

Thanks! I will try to include more technical details in the follow up.

In the original draft, I included some numbers and examples from my own game revenues but since the games are still actively sold I did not want to go into too much details. (edited, I may publish some numbers later on).