[PHASER] BlockTanks - A Simple Multiplayer Tank Game

kevdude

screenshot%203.png

Check out BlockTanks, a simple yet addicting MMO Tank Game made with nodeJS and Websockets.

In BlockTanks, you move a tank and shoot players on the opposite team, getting as many kills as you can. No need to create an account, just type in a name and play!

The game's features include:

• Real time player combat
  • A maze-like map that two teams of tanks can navigate through
  • Four types of power-ups
  • Chat features
  • Tank Skins

I made a post about this game a few weeks back, and I have been working on the game since. Here are the new features:

• By popular request, I've made an invincibility power-up that lasts for ten seconds.
  • The map changes every day to keep the game interesting.
  • I have added more tank skins, along with a list of all the current working tank skins.
  • Server bugs have been fixed to reduce server crashes.
  • A respawn timer has been added and the kill count at the top has been redesigned.

Play the game at: blocktanks-kevdude749.rhcloud.com

Hope you like it!

Also, if anyone has any tips/experience with promoting and marketing a game, I would be glad to know :)

UPDATE:

BlockTanks now has a bot feature which allows for single player gaming when no one else is online (which occurs often :)). If you log on and there is no one else online, a bot will spawn on the other team and fight against you until someone else joins. Please give it a try and let me know what you think of the new AI!

Untitled.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update to everyone... BlockTanks now has a bot feature which allows for single player gaming when no one else is online (which occurs often :)). If you log on and there is no one else online, a bot will spawn on the other team and fight against you until someone else joins. Please give it a try and let me know what you think of the new AI!

Well, it's better than an empty field, but the path finding logic could improve. If you near him enough and hide behind a block between him and you, he'll just stay there shooting forever. 

9 hours ago, ecv said:

Well, it's better than an empty field, but the path finding logic could improve. If you near him enough and hide behind a block between him and you, he'll just stay there shooting forever. 

Yeah, it is kind of annoying because the robot actually seems to resemble a camper... :)

This is my first experience in AI programming so I'll have to look into more options as to what I can do to improve the algorithm.

8 hours ago, kevdude said:

Yeah, it is kind of annoying because the robot actually seems to resemble a camper... :)

This is my first experience in AI programming so I'll have to look into more options as to what I can do to improve the algorithm.

I've never done this, but I'd think there must be some kind of AI library you can use? If not, maybe just design some algorithm to have your robot recursively check all positions where it can move to, from the last "potential" taken position while keeping track of all permutations, then chose the shortest path of all them? Or maybe more efficient to figuratively draw a straight path first and then perform the recursive checking along this straight path? I don't what's more involved, although at first sight the second option should be more efficient... What I know is I wouldn't like to code this myself :lol: Oh and then maybe when you got it, add some random factor so that the robot isn't a super killer and feels more natural...

@evc There isn't really an easy way to check all the positions it can go to and choose the best path because of the way my maps are coded. However, I did improve the movement logic by switching directions when it's not moving. For example, if the robot gets stuck in a corner, it will invert its direction and keep moving. I also added two bots instead of just one to keep the game interesting.

• 3 years later...

I just found your game and I just love it!

I really like the HERO SHOOTERS but I hate to wait for the game to load or wait to find a match, I was looking for something simple jet fun to play and I couldn't find anything, so I start to develop a game for the web based on great games like Battlefield Heroes (old EA game) and Paladins (new)

Now I found your game and has so much of the things I was looking for in a browser multiplayer game, NEAT!

It is a pleasure to meet the creator 

• 3 months later...

OMG I AM Survivalist_YT and I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS WAS HAPPENING 4 YEARS AGO WHEN THE GAME JUST BEGAN. I am glad to see the evolution of blocktanks and I hope that you, Kevin are successful with this game. I am actually reading everything you sent 4 years ago and it makes me feel... ¿happy? I really hope you reply to this :)