Fry Me Omelettes: An Egg Frying Sim!

Allen T

Hello! Awesome game creators!!

'Fry Me Omelettes' is one-of-a-kind cooking game. 
I know there's a lot of casual cooking games around that are visually stunning, catered to mostly young girls. 
But most of them are very "step-by-step", like instructions. There's no way to lose or do something else, you always end up making the perfect dishes...
I don't want that in my game. 

The ideas is to make a game that simulates real-life cooking, with plenty possibilities at hand, and is capable of making awful mistakes. (You'll be giggling at your own uniquely burnt eggs) I think that's the FUN I want players to have. Another area besides the gameplay is the judges/critics system. That's for further entertaining the players by judging their fried eggs...

I've been making this game (on & off) for quite a while. And now about 80% finished, this the first time I joined in this forum & share my game here.
Come take a look! ;)

FMOpromo_may_bar2.png

Click here to the game hosting website! *website down.
Come experience it!

FMObeta_introbanner.png

It's super SUPER addicting (I wouldn't have imagined) and very well done. I HAD to ace in all levels before I could quit playing. I got the feeling this isn't the work of a single person, is it?

Now for the "bads" (they're really not that bad):

First time I played I was shown some instructions which I mistakenly bypassed in a nervous click, and I could never get those back. Tried clearing cache several times and all but no, I never got to read them. Maybe I should have deleted cookies if any. Maybe adding them in the menu or adding a guided tutorial in the menu could help.

Also, this is strange because I couldn't reproduce it anymore, but first time I played, looks like I was clicking so fast, I must have done something awful and the game got stuck. No objects responded to clicks. 

I hated having to wait for messages to go while nervously clicking to DO something, but this is just me. Yes they do react to clicks, but too late.

First time I cooked I had no idea how to take the egg out of the pan. I thought the "done" button was just a message. I tried all sorts of movements with the spatula so that was a bit misleading.

The female judge is nearly impossible to please. I'm not complaining, I just found it funny. It's quite realistic :lol:

If this is really the work of a single person, props to you, else, props to you as well.

Oops, forgot to check the reply, ecv ! Sorry.:unsure:

The 'instruction board' is appeared one-time only. (I thought it would be very annoying if it keeps appearing every time)

Here are the steps (This is just to let first-timers know what to do basically)
1) Turn the knob clockwise to start fire.
2) Drag the egg to the pan(on top).
After you done cooking:
3) Turn the knob to 12 o-clock, 'Done' button will slide down on top
4) Click 'Done' to stop the frying.

Maybe the message transitions are a bit too slow-paced for some, so thanks for that pointing out. 
Many people hate Vesop for being difficult girl. (it's meant to be like that)

A few key hints for win her vote: 
- Keep the pepper or salt to minimum (1~2 strokes will do)
- When the egg cooked to bright yellow, wait for a few seconds then stop cooking. (before it turns browned on the edges)
- Too less/much fillings is no good for her (also be careful not to overcook the fillings)
- She doesn't care if you didn't put any toppings(for now), & hates too much ketchup or herb.

It's very NICE to have this large feedback, so thank you very much! Glad you like it.:)
And yes, I'm solo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fun game, the first time I played I "failed miserably" with an extremely under-cooked egg. :) I thought it was cool how you could pour oil and seasonings onto the egg if you clicked around.

I would make some of the messages go by a bit quicker, as it got annoying to wait for the messages to go away and they made the game feel slow.

I agree with @evc about the "done" button seeming like a message. Maybe change the button text to "Finish" or "Take Off Skillet".

8 hours ago, kevdude said:

Fun game, the first time I played I "failed miserably" with an extremely under-cooked egg. :) I thought it was cool how you could pour oil and seasonings onto the egg if you clicked around.

I would make some of the messages go by a bit quicker, as it got annoying to wait for the messages to go away and they made the game feel slow.

I agree with @evc about the "done" button seeming like a message. Maybe change the button text to "Finish" or "Take Off Skillet".

Sorry being out for a while.
Thank's for pointing that, now I can see why people view the 'done' button as just a message.

I will probably improve the 'Done' button in next update. (Maybe adding text to indicate or other ways)

For the messages on judging panel, any click or point will skip to next line. (except for the zoom out headlines & transitions). 
Is it not working for you either? 

8 hours ago, kevdude said:

If you mean the clicking to skip certain parts, it worked about half the time. For example, I couldn't skip the plate rotating the finished egg or some of the prompts.

The first 2~3 seconds of the rotating egg is unskippable by design. (I don't want players accidentally click away before they see their top-down view eggs/omelettes). Yes there's some prompts that might need a bit tweaking. Also if the game runs at average lower than 50 fps, pace could be a problem to some as the game slows down.(poor performance optimization)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

News: 'Fry Me Omelettes' is now on Google Play store!

FMO_banner_gp_extend.png

Device requirements:
* Android version 'Jelly Bean' 4.3 or above
* designed for phones & tablets (not available for Android PCs/laptops)
* screen aspect ratio: 16:9, 16:10 & 3:2 (4:3, 18:9 not supported)
* high performance devices recommended

[GO TO STORE PAGE HERE]

for more info, visit http://snoutyplays.weebly.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Picture

'Fry Me Omelette', the egg-frying simulation game, has finally reached ver 1.3 !
This is the defining version you'll love to play, especially for those who haven't play the game yet.

What's New...

These are the new additions since ver 1.2:
  • 1 'Unlockable' Ingredient
  • 1 'Challenge'
  • New passing rate (from 'Stats' -> 'Overalls')
  • 2 new high score leaderboards (kong)
  • Some new judge sprites
  • More critiques from judges
Picture

Things that are change/revamp or fixed:
  • Displacements of shrimp in 'Record' fixed
  • Egg cooked-ness tweaked
  • Several bug fixes

More Complete than Ever

Now Fry Me Omelettes is in complete package, as originaly intended. 

here's a quick list:
  • 2 Play Modes ('Casual' and 'Challenge')
  • 1 'Record' mode for you to see your previous cooking attempts
  • 7 Challenges
  • 8 Ingredients(fillings) & Dressings
  • 8 Unlockables
  • 18 In-Game Achievements
  • 4 High-Score Leaderboards (Kongregate Statistics)
  • 6 Holiday Opening Screens
  • X'mas theme (happens in Dec 24-31)
  • 8 Music Tracks (including X'mas theme tracks)
  • 200+ different Egg Sprites (just on 'Egglook' alone)
  • & Unlimited egg dish possibilities!

Now an intro for those who don't know the game is about:
It's basically a sandbox game-- You do the cooking and then get points and unlock stuff and achievements.
The main gameplay process is like this: Frying -> Dressing -> Judge Panel -> End of Round

First: you fry an egg or omelettes using mouse actions (to simulate cooking) with no strict manual instructions.
The game is designed to be as 'intuitive' as possible (maybe not player friendly). You may not know how to do it properly--but try to trust your 'cooking instincts', it takes tries to get the hang of things.

The 'Dressing' section is about the same-- but without the fire & pan...

sm-sc2.png sm-sc4.png sm-sc1_1.png Picture

The 'judge panel' is another highlight of the game, where your dishes be judged by our food critics in sequences. If you win 2 judges or more, you get a 'pass' or 'ace', if not you got 'fail'.

Little do people know there's 100+ of unique comments/critiques based on how you make your egg dishes.
Ver 1.3 adds 20+ new critiques and even some random comments, bringing more variety & humor to our player

This is much more than just a simple cooking sandbox game.
The game lets you make specific dishes, or try all kinds of 'experiments', or just to troll our judges.
All in all, It depends on what you want to do as an omelette-frying chef. (lol)

If you're an web gamer who's interested on sim games or cooking games, you might want to TRY 'Fry Me Omelettes'... Because It is, TRUELY-- a cooking simulator like no other!

You can click this button below to play the ver 1.3.
Picture

You can also visit the game's landing page or the development log here.
Or visit via Facebook , Twitter or Google+ to follow & support my game.
See You Around!

-Allen T, Snouty Plays 

• 3 weeks later...

The cooking sim 'Fry Me Omelettes' has a special theme whenever you play the game around X'mas. (Dec 24 to 31 from your time)
Come gather around and emerge yourselves with the Christmas cheers! MERRY CHRISTMAS! :P

Google Play: (Android)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snoutyplays.fmo

Kongregate: (newer Web version)
https://www.kongregate.com/games/Allentthesnouty/fry-me-omelettes

Opera Store: (Android)
http://android.oms.apps.bemobi.com/en_ro/fry_me_omelettes.html?pos=1