Reference a prototype function in the constructor, how?

BdR

I'm working on a Phaser game but I'm running into some sort of scoping issue and I don't know how to solve it (also posted on stackoverflow btw)

When the player wins a ResultPanel appears with the score and some buttons. The player can press the buttons to go to the next level or reset etc. The code to handle back/reset/next is in prototype functions, but those aren't yet defined when the constructor is called(?).

At is it now, the function doBtnBack is never called when I press the button.
What am I doing wrong? What's the right way to do this? :unsure:

// level complete panel constructor
ResultPanel = function(game, stars) {

this.game = game;

// display how many yellow stars
    var star1 = stars > 0 ? 'star_yellow' : 'star_grey';
    var star2 = stars > 1 ? 'star_yellow' : 'star_grey';
    var star3 = stars > 2 ? 'star_yellow' : 'star_grey';

// add text and stars
    this._panelCaption = this.game.add.bitmapText(144, 12, 'bigrigsfont', 'you are winner!', 48);
    this._panelStar1   = this.game.add.sprite(300-160, 144, 'buttonicon', star1);
    this._panelStar2   = this.game.add.sprite(300,     144, 'buttonicon', star2);
    this._panelStar3   = this.game.add.sprite(300+160, 144, 'buttonicon', star3);

// add button icons
    // NOTE: below code runs but something is wrong because
    // this.doBtnBack this.doBtnReset etc. is undefined
    this.btnBack  = this.game.add.button(300-100, 300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnBack,  this, 'back_grey',  'back_hl');
    this.btnReset = this.game.add.button(300,     300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnReset, this, 'reset_grey', 'reset_hl');
    this.btnNext  = this.game.add.button(300+100, 300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnNext,  this, 'next_grey',  'next_hl');

};

ResultPanel.prototype.doBtnBack = function() {
    console.log('Panel button BACK pressed') // never reaches here
};

ResultPanel.prototype.doBtnReset = function() {
    console.log('Panel button RESET pressed');
};

ResultPanel.prototype.doBtnNext = function() {
    console.log('Panel button NEXT pressed');
};

I also tried this, but that gives an error Uncaught TypeError: this.doBtnBack is not a function

this.btnBack  = this.game.add.button(300-100, 300, 'buttonicon', function(){this.doBtnBack();},  this, 4, 0, 8);

I've never tested it but I'm pretty sure when calling a function you need the parenthesis at the end, . so.... this.doBtnBack()

this.btnBack  = this.game.add.button(300-100, 300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnBack(),  this, 'back_grey',  'back_hl');
    this.btnReset = this.game.add.button(300,     300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnReset(), this, 'reset_grey', 'reset_hl');
    this.btnNext  = this.game.add.button(300+100, 300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnNext(),  this, 'next_grey',  'next_hl');

Are you calling ResultPanel without using new, i.e. "var panel = ResultPanel();"? What does "console.log(this.doBtnReset);" say when you add it at the top of the ResultPanel constructor?

Is this all the code? You're not reassigning the prototype somewhere else, like "ResultPanel.prototype = {}"?

4 hours ago, LTNGames said:

I've never tested it but I'm pretty sure when calling a function you need the parenthesis at the end, . so.... this.doBtnBack()

this.btnBack  = this.game.add.button(300-100, 300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnBack(),  this, 'back_grey',  'back_hl');
    this.btnReset = this.game.add.button(300,     300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnReset(), this, 'reset_grey', 'reset_hl');
    this.btnNext  = this.game.add.button(300+100, 300, 'buttonicon', this.doBtnNext(),  this, 'next_grey',  'next_hl');

Not in this case, no, otherwise it would insert the result of doBtnBack into the Button, as it's invoking it immediately when the () are included.

Correct, in the example above you're inserting a reference to the function. So when the callback is invoked the function itself is called. If you were to put () there it would invoke the function immediately, and store the result of that function as the reference (which is perfectly valid in some cases, where a function returns another function, but not in this one)

Okay, I actually use a MyGame prefix/namespace on all my objects, because that's also used in this code example. I admit I don't quite know what that the MyGame. does precisely.

So my code actually looks more like this:

var MyGame = {};

MyGame.Bootup = function() {
//etc.
MyGame.GameState = function() {
    create: function() {
        var panel = new MyGame.ResultPanel(this, 3);
    }
};

And see the panel object code below. Now, if I remove all the MyGame. from the code below but keep it in the code above (except in the var panel = new ResultPanel(this, 3)" then it works(?). No clue why that is. :blink:

MyGame.ResultPanel = function(game, stars) {
    this.game = game;
    // etc.
};

MyGame.ResultPanel.prototype.doBtnBack = function() {
    console.log('Panel button BACK pressed') // never reaches here
};

MyGame.ResultPanel.prototype.doBtnReset = function() {
    console.log('Panel button RESET pressed');
};

MyGame.ResultPanel.prototype.doBtnNext = function() {
    console.log('Panel button NEXT pressed');
};

MyGame.GameState = function() {
    create: function() {
        var panel = new MyGame.ResultPanel(this, 3);
    }
};

but it works :)

1 hour ago, BdR said:

I don't quite know what that the MyGame. does precisely.

MyGame, is a namespace, it will store everything inside of it so it stops you from polluting the global space. If you run a console.log(MyGame); the console will show everything that is inside of it. That being said I still have no clue why you can't call this.doBtnBack from within the main function.