What's wrong with websites designs? Nobody cares for 1024x768 resolution anymore?

ecv

This is more of a rant. The topic says it all. Except for the bigger websites such as Google, FB, etc. I constantly find websites/blogs which simply won't fit in a standard (XGA) 1024x768 resolution and I have to zoom out my browser to 75% to be able to read some things. I can do this easily, yet it's so annoying feeling you're being imposed this. Looks like everyone's moved onto 1280x1024 or higher resolutions and I must be one little stubborn guy left not wanting to use a higher resolution on my "tiny" (by today standards) 19" 10-15 year old Benq FP991 (ah... you gotta love when planned obsolescence wasn't an active part of engineering, ...or rather you should hate it is today as a means of driving consumerism on our "great" current pitiful global society model). Why would I? I'd then have to use bigger fonts, and the trade-off is what? Slower performance and waste of resources on my video card? Even though this monitor has a native resolution of 1280x1024, you think my 36 year old eyes can see a single such pixel at 19"? SMH

While I admit I can tell the difference between a FullHD movie and a PAL one in a big screen, I've never understood this craze for higher and higher resolutions. I even like film grain on movies and kind of dislike those super crisp ones. It adds a special atmosphere to movies, ala book illustrations or old pictures, that would otherwise look like a color graded TV news bulletin.

It can't be that hard to get a your CSS styles or whatnot fixed to have your content play nice with XGA resolution, right? Perhaps webmasters should gather resolution statistics and act accordingly, although I suspect I must be a minority using XGA...

Hardcoding my game right now for a minimum of 1280x740 -- (Not really a website, but still using DOM/Canvas).. It might tick you off some more :P  I just think the browser statistics show that we're slowly moving up passed 1024, but I can understand your concern. Even freshly produced tablets I believe are supporting higher resolutions now too.. times a changing I guess

Almost all that I visit regularly like larger screens but they're fully responsive so work great on 1024, which is standard iPad landscape width and many sites tend to test against desktop screens (yep, generally considered larger than 1024), iPad landscape and portrait and mobile sizes. With the prevalence of device browsing I'm surprised the sites you're visiting display poorly at 1024.

A good reading width for most people is between 60-80 characters per line (cpl), at fairly large font sizes (18-21px) this equates to roughly only 640px, which means that most blogs should try to settle around this figure for their main content area (asides and the other junk periphery could double that, but all of that should be secondary content anyway) so its odd that blogs you are reading are all much much larger and fit poorly on your screen.

The higher dpi thing, for most people, makes a large difference, the difference between a retina 15inch screen and a non-retina, for most people, is quite obvious and its one of those things, once you get used to the higher dpi you generally hate going back, same for HD TV channels. It's not so much that you can see individual pixels its just that everything (obviously) is smoother at higher dpi's and the overall picture is crisper (images aside, a few sites still don't serve correct images and look carp on higher dpi screens).

Sites should cater for all screen sizes, dpi's and also target accessibility concerns, if the sites you like don't then please harass the developers until they do something about it. If we, as devs, care less about our craft, it'll die and it sounds like maybe some of the sites you visit simply do not care about their craft or their audience.

i wonder how the web would render on my old Vintage Apple Macintosh Portrait Display Monitor B&W ;) As a matter of fact, recent statistics show that on laptop and desktop the minimum resolution is more 1366x768 and higher (w3c). Since web designers target the large audience they seem to now focus only on widescreen. A solution for you is to change the user-agent or disable css in your browser -ugly but fast.

12 hours ago, Rudrabhoj Bhati said:

My next game is being created at 1280x740 too hehe. I haven't tested phaser's scaling down a lot, hope it'll work.  :lol:

2 hours ago, totor said:

i wonder how the web would render on my old Vintage Apple Macintosh Portrait Display Monitor B&W ;) As a matter of fact, recent statistics show that on laptop and desktop the minimum resolution is more 1366x768 and higher (w3c). Since web designers target the large audience they seem to now focus only on widescreen. A solution for you is to change the user-agent or disable css in your browser -ugly but fast.

You guys are killing me :ph34r:

I completely agree on this, I have a triple monitor setup, where my Full HD monitors are rotated 90 degrees, effectively giving me 1080px width, slightly more than 1024. But I'm pretty pissed off with all the website that won't fit on there! It's really horrible! This goes especially for all the services that build admin panels, (game analytics anyone?) that won't fit on my monitors!

4 hours ago, Str1ngS said:

I completely agree on this, I have a triple monitor setup, where my Full HD monitors are rotated 90 degrees, effectively giving me 1080px width, slightly more than 1024. But I'm pretty pissed off with all the website that won't fit on there! It's really horrible! This goes especially for all the services that build admin panels, (game analytics anyone?) that won't fit on my monitors!

What a strange setup...:huh: What do you use these for?