Willie or Won't He

Jake Whiteley

Hey all,

I finally have a game up and live in the wild!

I've been using Phaser at home for quite a while, and this was the first opportunity I had within a work context (I work at a digital agency in the UK) to produce a game and get paid for it.

It's called Willie or Won't He and is based on a referee called Willie Collum who is well known for sending players off, so we wanted to create a game which involved 'sending off' players by smashing them in the face with a red card :)

I did it using the standard arcade physics engine which made for some interesting difficulty with hitboxes on rotated sprites, and has convinced me to use P2 for my next project. The other difficulty was no fullscreen on apple devices - how have other people gotten around keeping fixed aspect ratio on mobile devices?

My personal top score is 48, but I know the theoretical top score is much higher than that - Any takers?

http://willie-or-wont-he.com/

Cheers, Jake

html5splash.jpg

Also, since I use a laptop with rubbish arrow keys, I'd love some wasd support please.
I noticed that there's no diagonal running, :huh: kinda threw me off, any reason for that?

Other than those few quirks. I've played it a few times and it's only dragging me in more! Haha, Good work, I love sending players off :lol:

:lol: HA, 48.. WHAT A PALTRY FIGURE :D WHO JUST GOT 49?

And then, seeing the mighty power of the RED CARD in his hand... Who do you think went back and got 56 :rolleyes: Need a hint?

I think 60+ should be possible on a good run. I missed about 4 I should have hit - Any takers? ;)

56??! Nice!

They spawn randomly between .2 and 1.2s and take about 3s to run to your position, so on a perfect run (min spawn time and they run directly at the player) you could hit quite a lot within the 45 seconds.

The movement is only the 4 directions to be consistent with joystick on mobiles - it would be unfair if the tablet/mobile crew could rotate or run diagonally so we just decided for a simpler way of moving.

I also wanted the player to 'turn' to face the new direction in an organic way via a tween, if they could face any direction that would have been horrible unless I added a rate limiter to the update loop, and dev time wasn't great on this :P

I like your Surge game, was it hard to get it on Kongregate?

Firstly :D Yes, 56 ! :lol:I did have to play quite a lot to get it though! Haha, but once you get used to it, it's achievable. Still happy with it :) but I think it's just more remembering what order they come onto the screen, if you can reach them and Red Card them one after the other. It's alot of fun!

I didn't know Joystick only supports 4 directions?? Isn't it the circle in the circle? Haha, but with short dev time, you gotta make cuts somewhere. Good decision!

Kongregate is probably the easiest. Just create an account, and upload the game. They have a form for the game details and it goes up straight away. Nothing else needed.

• 1 month later...