[Phaser] Retro Basketball

1pixelarmy

Hi all!

Just uploaded my second Phaser game. I made a port of my Android's Retro Basketball game, using MSX palette. 

You can play it from your browser here:

http://1pixelarmy.com/html5_games/retro_basketball.html

If you're interested, you can also download it here for your Android device (Android version is native, not HTML5), currently it has >20k downloads!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sku.retrobasket

Any comment or suggestion will be very welcomed!

Best regards,

David

scr2.png

Good game, nice graphics and retro feel. I have a few suggestions:

1. The controls for aiming the ball are hard to get used to, because the up and down arrow keys control the y position and the side arrows control the x position. It would feel more natural if you made the side arrows control the angle and the up/down arrows control the power.

2. Make the speed of the basketballs a little faster to speed up the pace of gameplay. The gravity should be greater, unless you're going for a moon type setting.

3. Add sounds when the basketball makes it into the hoop and when you shoot the ball.

I agree with kevdude about the controls, and why no swipe controls like in iBasket ? Also, I think there is a bug, the aiming ball+line dissapears after entering highscore name and starting a second game (Windows 10, Chrome).

On 7/22/2016 at 10:17 PM, kevdude said:

Good game, nice graphics and retro feel. I have a few suggestions:

1. The controls for aiming the ball are hard to get used to, because the up and down arrow keys control the y position and the side arrows control the x position. It would feel more natural if you made the side arrows control the angle and the up/down arrows control the power.

2. Make the speed of the basketballs a little faster to speed up the pace of gameplay. The gravity should be greater, unless you're going for a moon type setting.

3. Add sounds when the basketball makes it into the hoop and when you shoot the ball.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've added some y gravity to the ball, you are right, basketball drop looked weird.

I've also changed controls, I'm not 100% sure I like it more than before, but I'll give it a try.

David

On 7/23/2016 at 0:03 PM, BdR said:

I agree with kevdude about the controls, and why no swipe controls like in iBasket ? Also, I think there is a bug, the aiming ball+line dissapears after entering highscore name and starting a second game (Windows 10, Chrome).

Bug fixed, thanks for the report!

I'll try to add swipe controls soon, so you can play with keyboard or mouse. So far, I've changed controls behaviour following @BdR suggestion.

David.

Quite liked that, although felt quite difficult to aim it right!

Also if a ball bounces back, it can hit the ball you're trying to aim and knock it off. I had one ball fly off the top of the screen :)

One last little bug: If you score a basket as the time runs out, the floating points text that appears above the basket remains in the game, through-out the highscore name entry, etc.

On 7/26/2016 at 2:25 PM, rich said:

Quite liked that, although felt quite difficult to aim it right!

Also if a ball bounces back, it can hit the ball you're trying to aim and knock it off. I had one ball fly off the top of the screen :)

One last little bug: If you score a basket as the time runs out, the floating points text that appears above the basket remains in the game, through-out the highscore name entry, etc.

Thanks Rich!

I think I've fixed the bug (and another one I found in the way). Also, now you can see your score position in hall of fame, and I've added a Twitter button to share your result.

David

scr4.png

On 23/7/2016 at 0:03 PM, BdR said:

Swipe controls added, ;)

Btw, some great players around, high scores table is quite impressive right now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2016 at 6:40 AM, 1pixelarmy said:

Just for you to know. Best promotion move I made so far is posting in reddit. I've posted about the game in /WebGames subreddit and get 1000+ plays in a single day.

Thank you for sharing this,

i also played the game, and i think it's quite cool :)