Grand Prix Hero

b10b

I had the chance this month to revisit a client project and reskin it as something different.  The result was GRAND PRIX HERO, a "retro inspired pseudo 3D racer" similar to the Sega classics I used to play in the arcades.  Designed to run in browser on either mobile or desktop the controls use tilt, touch or keys - gameplay is crippled optimized with auto-accelerate accordingly ...

http://b10b.com/grandprixhero/

Gameplay:

Compete across 4 races in the Grand Prix Series.  Dodge traffic, boost, collect coins and upgrade your car for the next race.  Are you the Grand Prix Hero?

screenshot_01.jpgscreenshot_03.jpg

Technical:

Made with Haxe + awe6 + CreateJS, the underlying engine is heavily inspired by this popular tutorial: http://codeincomplete.com/posts/2012/6/22/javascript_racer/.  Everything is Canvas based, just LOTS of drawImages, no WebGL - so older devices may struggle (there are many auto degrading detail settings built into the game, but they can only do so much).  The majority of graphical and audio assets came from my stockpile of never-quite-finished racing games, so I'm pleased to finally publish some of them (even if it is on a much simpler game than they were originally intended for).

Next steps:

Sega style voice over?  Suggestions welcomed.

Wow, the game looks amazing :blink: That is an excellent use of the psuedo 3D segmented road technique. :)

I only have some minor points, the "vroom" sound effect is used a lot for the menu button which gets a little annoying. Maybe also use some other sound effects, like an engine start or just userinterface bleeps. Or like you said a voice over "ok" "get ready" would be nice for these transitions. And the turbo boost effect is not very clear how long it lasts, visually I mean. There is some blur effect going on but I think it's a little too subtle. Maybe add exhaust flames or a wind stripes overlay like here in Pac-Man World Rally for example.

The UI is great, something I must learn to improve myself. I like the visuals of the track/cars too.
Not so much of a fan of the gameplay yet, it does not feel that good to me.
- the car seems to visually turn much too fast (the car turns more than the actual turn implies it should)
- passing cars sound is very repetitive, with webaudio you can pretty easily build a doppler-effect for getting closer and passing cars
- crashing into cars only has an impact on your own vehicle, just slows down