[Paid] Looking for an HTML5 programmer to port my flash game

grifter101

Hello!

I'm just new here, and currently seeking for an HTML5 developer who can port my flash game and create a version that could work on mobile browsers. It's just a simple game to begin with and you can check it by clicking this link --> Zassin.

Btw, I'm actually a flash game artist/developer and I've been doing games for the past 3 years already. However, this is my first time to try HTML5. This is a paid project btw, so please if anybody is interested, kindly message me with your quotes.

Thanks and Regards,
Gilbert

Well, guess this is simple. The original game just uses the cursor keys randomly to have a set of 4 different keys.

For mobile version you could choose e.g. 4 different colored keys at the bottom of the screen instead of the cursor keys. 

Yeah that would be the simplest I suppose. I think I've been a bit brainwashed about using on-screen buttons on mobile, where I used to work they always instantly dismissed that as an approach! Not sure why, maybe shortage of screen space? I'm just interested to hear what approaches people tend to use for these things really, helps plan future ideas.

Hi!

thanks guys! regarding the buttons, i was actually thinking of putting something like this.
mega-man-x-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad-ios-sc

But I'm not sure if it'll work on small devices.

You think porting this game to HTML5 will not be a problem? I mean, I've created a lot of animations for this game

and I'm not sure how can these animations be exported to HTML5 without taking a good amount of memory space.

I could pretty easily do this for you except that the animations are going to be the biggest problem. Both in terms of memory which can be handled as well as download times. It's really hard to say though just how much memory we're talking, perhaps you could give an indication of what the spritesheet would look like.

Thanks Developoid! Well right now i haven't converted it into spritesheets yet, they are still in vector. But to give you an idea how big the animation is. I've created around 70 scenes, each scenes consists of an average of 100 frames. So if I'm to convert each frames into png, it'll have around 7000 image files. :unsure:

Hehe, that'll be a problem! I'd say for phones, I personally don't like to exceed 2048 x 1024 of total texture area, or about 8 megabytes of memory and usually less than 2 megabytes of compressed image size. 

The scenes probably have a lot of overlapping graphics which can reused many times. You'd have to look into how to cleverly reuse as many things as possible such as the entire background scene, and then only export the 'dynamic' graphics. Then you'd have to separate things like small particles and do them dynamically, blood or projectile particles are both dynamic and reusable for example. You'd probably also have to give up a bit of fps. With some clever memory management and good compression, it might be viable for mobile devices, particularly (low-resolution, blown-up) tablets. 

But I don't know, optimizing from 7000 image files is extremely steep! :P I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to port, while it's a very solid, highly polished and likely very popular game, the gameplay isn't deep enough and the content (in terms of length, minutes of playtime) isn't big enough due to the high amount of detail going into every 5 seconds of the game.

Yup, guess the biggest challenge is the handling of the big amount of sprites. Depending which device range you want to target - a lot of tweaking concerning the asset management is necessary.

And as Developoid already says - your game lives from your strong animations. So, re-using and simplying them might be very dangerous in perspective on the overall-fun of the game.

Apart from that, the overall game mechanic would fit for a mobile game IMHO.

Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate it! :) However, I already have a sponsor which really wanted to buy the mobile browser version of this game.

And hopefully there's still a way to port this game even with the said amount of images. Btw, Developoid you're right about the background, I can re-use that to conserve memory space.

Not to mention that this is a stick game with less detailed characters, that might lessen the size of an image.

• 4 months later...