Phaser Isometric plugin typescript. Should I look for another engine?

PhasedEvolution

Hello. I am looking to make a isometric tiled game. I am new to developing games but not that new to programming though. I have previous experience in javascript but I am learning typescript. Along with that I was looking to create a isometric tiled game. If I could program it on typescript it would be great.

I have heard about the isometric plugin for phaser and I tried working with it with typescript. As I lack experience in typescript I would appreciate tutorials which aim is developing isometric tiled games in typescript. However, with this plugin and phaser I found none... only javascript ones.

Can someone help me with this? I mean, do you think I should look for another game engine more focused on what I am looking for and that has more support in typescript, like tutorials, or should I stick with phaser somehow...? 

Honest Answers, thank you.

You'll run into this problem more and more, JS has millions of modules, TS not so much and TS can be finickity to get ignoring regular JS files (which might well break its rules, or, at least, not enforce them). 

I think there are typings for Phaser (unlikely for plugins) and you could create your own typings for the plugin and then publish them so others can use them. Pretty sure you can also set a load of files on the ignore list, so thats an option. The third option is ditch TS, whilst that is probably ordinarily your best course of action, as you want to learn it you'll have to keep plugging away with things like this.

You might find some difficulties with TypeScript but it is definitely worth it. TypeScript is very easy to program as soon as you get used to it and its a way more readable code than JavaScript.

However it is true that you need to find the typings for the library you need or create your own ones.

You can check in DefinitelyTyped.org or download the typings module using the npm and search through this.

You could start off with a simpler project so you can get familiar with TypeScript and then continue with this one. It is going to be easy to find you way through it when you get a grip.

Just my 2 cents: I have a personal dislike of transpiled languages, because while they do make the code more readable, they take you a step further away from what the code is actually doing. While TypeScript is a fantastic language (indeed, it shares many features with ActionScript 3, the language I started with) the fact that at some stage it compiles to JavaScript, and must typically interact with other JavaScript libraries, makes it often cause more problems than it solves. Its projected lifespan is also questionable given it's in essence trying to emulate features ahead of time that are already very much 'coming soon' in JavaScript.

As such, there's no official definitions file for my isometric plug-in, though there are (probably out of date) ones floating around, such as this one in the official repository. I have a feeling if you're serious about getting Phaser, my plug-in and possibly other libraries working via TypeScript, there'll be a fair amount of work ahead of time manually sorting out your tooling, defs and so on.