HTML5 game portfolio

tvault

Unless some of them are a bit rubbish I can't see why it would be detrimental to showcase games you have made. Generally speaking the first thing a potential employer is going to want to see is examples of decent games you have worked on.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, show only your best work.

If you're going for a job or sponsorship or something no-one cares about your first games, they want to see your best, with a possible caveat that you might want to display some sort of journey, but then, that has no place in a portfolio. No-one worth their salt has time to trawl through 10/20 of your games, 50% of which might not be great, they want to see your best, if they want to see more then they'll ask (i.e. they might want to know where you've identified where a game is bad/sub-optimal but haven't had time or inclination to fix it, this is perfectly fine as you've likely taken those lessons to a new project).

If you're talking about an online repository then by all means show all your stuff, but show your best stuff first and keep the less-than-best stuff somewhere else, maybe in an archive or on a different page. Whilst its often fun to see experiments or concepts that didn't quite work, if your aim is to show how good you are don't waste time explaining why something is bad or didn't work, just show what did work and what you're great at.

13 hours ago, mattstyles said:

Yes, show only your best work.

Strongly agreed.

As the stated objective is to work in the industry, I can confidently say you're better off only showing your best stuff, and not including lesser work at all.  It just drags down a potential employer's overall impression of your abilities, even if you've improved since then.

Even if you just have a couple of games as a result, if they're good, that's all you need.  If you include unfinished (but non-crappy) stuff, explain why it's interesting - what cool thing did you explore or implement?

Make sure everything is easy to play immediately or at least flip through screenshots.  (Should be easy enough if you're doing html5 work!)  Nobody wants to download/install a portfolio piece.

Source:  I hire programmers, designers, and artists as part of my job.

It's very difficult to know what is considered as 'best' work if you feel proud of what you have achieved, however looking at all the great games online I understand the level I should be at.

I mostly try and stay at the level of games from Gamepix and Famobi as a possible benchmark.

All great advice, thank you.