Drawing Tiles in a Tilemap

DubiousDillan

I like the look of this library but all the abstractions confuse me. In fact, I remember finding pure WebGL simpler to work with than this.

I have a spritesheet of tiles. I'd like to be able to group these tiles into meshes and as far as I understand, that involves just adding them as Sprite objects to a Container or ParticleContainer.

I could create a Sprite object for every single instance of a tile but it seems like a terrible waste.

(I store the tile IDs in an array, not that this should matter.)

What's an efficient way of rendering a tile map? Thanks!

use pixi-tilemap. if you have only one atlas of tiles, it will be the most faster thing. theres also dev-multitexture branch of it used by RPGmakerMV, supports up to 16 atlases of 1024 size

basically, you clear the mesh every time on scrolling or animation. there is built-in animation of simple stuff in shader, thats faster :) in any case you have to study examples and sources. start from master branch, then look in multitexture

2 hours ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

use pixi-tilemap. if you have only one atlas of tiles, it will be the most faster thing. theres also dev-multitexture branch of it used by RPGmakerMV, supports up to 16 atlases of 1024 size

basically, you clear the mesh every time on scrolling or animation. there is built-in animation of simple stuff in shader, thats faster :) in any case you have to study examples and sources. start from master branch, then look in multitexture

Aha, thanks! I spent a while looking at it ^_^