iOS Address Bar (Horizontal)

gjbarter

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has been discussed previously but as I know Apple like to throw updates out to this part of Mobile Safari I thought I would ask again to get the most up to date information.

I'm on the lookout for a solution to ensure fullscreen when viewing content in horizontal orientation on mobile Safari. I know that there used to minimal-ui but that got removed (in iOS7 i think?), I was just wondering if there had been a new way introduced to ensure the fullscreen is present and the top address is bar is hidden in horizontal view?

If there isn't a simple command like minimal-ui then what's the recommended action here?

Thanks in advance!
Garry

There is no nice way, I'm afraid. 

The best thing to do is compare the window.innerHeight to $(window).height()

If they are the same, then the url bar is hidden. If they are not the same, then the url bar is shown. In this case, put a large div overlaying the entire screen, giving it a lot of height. Have a message on the div instructing the player to 'swipe up to play'. This will simulate scrolling down the webpage, and in safari this will then hide the url bar. Once window.innerHeight matches $(window).height() again you can hide the overlay.

Not fun, not sexy, but it's the only way :/