Nintendo supports HTML5 with web framework for Wii U

rich

post-1-0-06315900-1364426609.png

Nintendo has revealed a new Nintendo Web Framework to support the development of HTML5, JavaScript and CSS apps on the Wii U.

The framework, based on WebKit technologies, also supports the Wii U GamePad, Wii Remote controllers and JavaScript extensions such as video playback.

Speaking at GDC 2013, Nintendo claimed that that the toolset for apps would reduce development times and allow for the easy creation of apps through using common web technologies.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43682/GDC-13-Nintendo-supports-HTML5-with-web-framework-for-Wii-U

• 1 month later...

You guys have any kind of update about this topic? I`ve signed on Nintendo to know more about Nintendo Framework, but they replied that they dont work with brazilians yet. It sucks and I would love to know more about it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Even if it's a little old, did you try to fill the gdc 2013 form ?

https://gdc2013.nintendo.com/sign_up.php

Looks like this is the only entry point.

But, by the look of the specific mail for Japanese at the top of the page and after reading somewhere else that a Brazilian got an answer "we don't accept requests from Brazil yet", they are going to privilege Japanese developers :(.

But maybe it's worth to try, especially you guy(s?) from Photon Storm, you can prove your strong engagement into the html 5 gaming industry.

I was bugging Nintendo for some time, and looks like that the "Brazil Problem" is a hardware one. I have to get deep on this yet, but maybe it does have something about policies on importing hardware.

There's some friends of mine that are paying three times the Ouya price in taxes just to get it here (on Brazil).

I hope there is more to it than a simple wrapper... I've tried running some html5 tests on WiiU in the browser and, while it all worked perfectly, it was incredibly, disappointingly slow. Slower than a 3 year old low-end android phone.

So let's hope they have a hardware accelerated canvas, or something like that.

I hope there is more to it than a simple wrapper... I've tried running some html5 tests on WiiU in the browser and, while it all worked perfectly, it was incredibly, disappointingly slow. Slower than a 3 year old low-end android phone.

So let's hope they have a hardware accelerated canvas, or something like that.

if they really go for html5 then a new firmware will fix this for sure :)

Hello! ( New to this forum)

We http://morgondag.nu

Got accepted and 3rd party developers for the WIIU recently. 
We haven't finish anything for it yet, but we are developing two of our html5 games for it.

Vemdel - Raspberry Hunt
and
RymdResa

When you get accepted you sign a boat load off paper to not talk about anything basically. 

But Yeah the framework is nice!

And the canvas is indeed accelerated.
Still haven't figured everything out.
Things like switching sound source. the gamepad or the tv.

Yesterday i built a hacky solution to get the input data from the gamepad working with impact.js
Works nice, But you do need to consider the framerate especially if you are displaying the same Canvas Element on both the TV and the gamepad itself.

And when we finish the games we need to get nintendos approval and a couple of miles more paperwork, before we can release it.
But that is kinda the consol deal isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Let me ask you something, Morgondag. The screen coordinates starts at the top-left of the screen or bottom-left? Or it's just everything the html5 way?

Well you have a regular DOM ;-) 

So its top left. 

But you do how ever have 2 DOMs! 

the gamepad and the TV-screen have dedicated html files.

We got our approval today :) So I'm looking forward to digging around with the API and seeing what it can do once all that stuff arrives.

Congratz! you could install nintendo webframework and have a look in the api. and when you/or if you get your hardware you can install it later.

Im currently looking for a viable sound sollution. sending html5 audio to two contexts.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...