kingangelo26

Mighty Editor or Phaser Editor ??

Which Editor is Better ??

I'm Actually looking for a software that I could use for developing phaser games!!

My target software is a drag and drop way for developing the visual game aspects, assest organization, sprite/spritesheet editor/maker but the code is still made from phaser framework and can be exported and use outside the software while for coding game mechanics I want auto completion and other IDE alike features ??

Any Suggestions ??

Mighty Editor

-Pros: ??

-Cons ??

Phaser Editor

-Pros ??

-Cons??

-- Edit: I am sorry, I was confusing Mighty Editor with Qici Engine!

Hi @kingangelo26

Phaser Editor author here :)

It looks like everything you mention in the post is supported in Phaser Editor

>  My target software is a drag and drop way for developing the visual game aspects

Take a look to the Phaser Editor scene builder. It is in preview state but we keep improving it and I think it is pretty usable.

assest organization

Take a look to the Asset Pack editor, it is based on the Asset Pack manifest (a Phaser supported format via game.load.pack).

sprite/spritesheet editor/maker

Phaser Editor has a texture atlas maker that you can configure to generate spritesheet like textures. You can select the Grid mode. In addition you have the Preview window where you can preview the spritesheets and the visual scene maker has an Animations tool to create the spritesheet animations.

but the code is still made from phaser framework and can be exported and use outside the software

Phaser Editor only uses Phaser standards and familiar coding styles. There is not any third-party plugin or fancy Phaser code. Actually it is our intention that users can use other tools together with Phaser Editor. You can read here a post about to use Phaser Editor together with Sublime Text.

for coding game mechanics I want auto completion

Take a look to the JavaScript editor. It auto complete the Phaser API and some other stuff like the asset names, easing names and code snippets. Even in the case of the asset keys and easing literals you will get a preview popup. (Note about auto completion, you should follow some guidelines in your coding styles to help the auto completion engine, in the doc we talk about it).

and other IDE alike features

Our editor is based on Eclipse so you will get lot of IDE stuff: workspaces, preferences, flexible layout, hotkey bindings, etc...

Other Pros... it is updated with frequency, every 1 or 2 months the system base, and the Phaser support is updated at every Phaser release.

Cons (in this point do not expect a long answer from me hehe)... it is a commercial product, you should purchase a 1 year license (however you will get personal support), and not everybody in the web dev is used to huge IDEs, but it looks like you like them :).. ah, and it is a relative new product, there is not a wide community or something like that around the editor.

By the way, you can take a look to the GameDev Academy article we wrote recently: Make a-Mario-Style platformer with the Phaser Editor.

Just take a look to both editors, Mighty Editor was very easy to install and it is a tool we keep as reference specially when we develop the visual scene editor.

Keep in contact.

Arian