Firefox slowness and bad audio

hungrybutterfly

I'm slowly coming to terms with the limitations of Canvas and found image rendering on Firefox (version 25) to be very slow, compared to say Chrome. I presume it's still rendering in software.

Slow down is fine, I can just compensate for that by updating the game with the given time delta.

The problem I can't fix is audio playback. When the frame rate drops the audio stutters constantly and sounds awful.

Hmm for me Firefox renders just as fast as Chrome, so I wonder if it's the way its using your GPU perhaps. What you could always do is just disable audio for Firefox only - you can determine this via the Phaser.Device class. Or you could poll the frame rate once the game starts and if it drops too low then disable the audio? Phaser.Time should have what you need in there for fps rate, etc.

FYI, I don't see this problem on any of my machines (all laptops with intel onboard video or old intel/nvidia dual) - firefox is generally a little slower than chrome (both canvas & webgl), but not as slow as safari, but they're all within a few fps of each other. (latest version of all browsers)