Game Jam Games: Chicken Attack! and Freedom Frog

dhaber

These games were made for the HOGJam game jam events in Seattle.   I used the events as an opportunity to test out my own game engine and tools.  The only notable dependency is Box2D.   These are for desktop Chrome only.   I've made no effort to get this working on mobile.  

It was nice to quickly crank out a couple games.  Freedom Frog is incomplete and has about a level and a half of game play.  Chicken Attack has 10 complete waves and is beatable.  I wrote up some more details on the games and the game jam here.   All sounds are generated procedurally when the program starts with SFMaker.  The spritesheets were made with Leshy SpriteSheet Tool.

When putting together the games for distribution I noticed looping mp3 files in Chrome are requested repeatedly.   I remembered this issue from a couple years ago, but was surprised to see it was still there. Creating a manifest with the audio in it seemed to remedy that.   Is that how everyone else deals with it?

Freedom Frog

post-4122-0-59831200-1387252794.png

Play Freedom Frog

A prince has decided life would be easier as a frog. Help guide him past chefs who want to cook him, and princesses who want to kiss him as he makes his way to the pond. This is an incomplete platformer game that was made in less than 32 hours for HOGJam #1. The theme was "Perseverance."

Chicken Attack

post-4122-0-24601300-1387252722.png

Play Chicken Attack!

Chickens are trying to cross the road. We don't know why, but it can't be good. This is a tower defense game made in less then 24 hours for HOGJam #2. The theme was "Free Chicken, Weird Chicken."