Multi-part obj dynamic texturing best practices

iif

Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for all the amazing contents I managed to find here. It really helped me to understand better how BJS works.

Background :

I am much more a back-end developer, so excuse me if I lack (too much) knowledge about front-end or 3D modeling.

Anyway, I learned some Unity and Unreal by myself and built several Unity applications (no games, regular mobile apps, Augmented Reality apps, ...) so I understand a bit how 3D modeling works (textures, UV maps, normal maps, materials, baking, ...).

I am thinking about using BJS, but can't set a tech stack until I am sure that it can answer all my needs. That's why I started building some POCs with BJS.

The need : 

To make it quick : I have an application where I want to integrate a frame with a single 3D object (with BJS). I want to interact with this object and change its look just by clicking on a button in the interface (in less than a second would be great).

The objects will be multiparts : for example, the obj of a table would include a feet part and a top part. I want to be able to change the top part and the feet part textures/mats separately.

I need the result to be in very high quality and to display fast enough (but since I don't want to build a full world, just a single object, I hope this will be OK).

What I understood / What I tried :

Thanks to some tutorials/samples, I loaded some models from .babylon or .obj files , in the Sandbox or in a local application. I managed to change mats for these meshes using some code of the "rabbit sample" (glass, metal, ... materials).

If I'm not wrong, I'll be able to change textures (with a .jpg or .tga file), the behaviour of light (to create metalic, glass, wood or plastic behaviour), the color, ... with something like :

mesh.material.diffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(texture, scene);

or

var mat = new BABYLON.PBRMaterial("clay", scene);
mat.cameraExposure = exposure;
mat.cameraContrast = contrast;
mat.microSurface = 0.06;
mat.reflectivityColor = new BABYLON.Color3(0.5, 0.9, 0.9);
mat.albedoColor = new BABYLON.Color3(0.5, 0.5, 1);

Plus, if I understood well, I can "isolate" my mesh after it's instanciation with a "onSuccess" event, to be able to access it easily after loading the page (or loading a new item).

I am planning to create a scene from scratch and add just a simple background and lights to make the object looks great by itself :).

Here is what I didn't understood (or not sure about that) :

Q1 : what's the good way to load an object and to identify every sub-part of it ?

For example, if my (lovely and friendly) graphical artists build and export an .obj "object1" with 2 sub-parts called "obPart1" and "obPart2" with Maya or 3DSMax, what's the best way to interact with obPart1 and obPart2 after loading object1 in BJS ?

Q2: Am I forced to play with many maps for one object, or can I obtain sufficient result using multi-part object and a BABYLON.PBRMaterial for each sub-part ?

Q3 : What's the main difference between using a .obj or a .babylon ? I would clearly prefer to directly use .obj files (to stay closer to standards and avoid to use plugins) but would I miss something that I couldn't replace in my BJS scene (like a light...) ?

Q4 : If I am smart enough (crossing fingers), I should be able to display a glossy wood and a not glossy one with only one .jpg texture, just by having 2 different BABYLON.PBRMaterial, right ? Am I wrong if I am thinking about doing the same thing to have a blue wood and a pink one (erm ... why not ?) ?

Q5 : Last but not least : if I am smart enough (crossing fingers to death), I could build a back-office where I can upload .obj or .babylon, identify sub-parts of it, chose wich texture/mat can be applied on which sub-part, and use all of this in the "display" part of the application. I may be a dreamer (but i'm not the only one ...) but if I didn't miss some main specifications, I believe that this could be achieved with a clever architecture. Am I mad to think about that ?

I (really) searched in this forum (and some others) and in the documentation, sorry if I missed the answers (or didn't understood the words I read).

I am much more used to back-end technologies so I may have not been as efficient as I use to be, but I'll learn fast ;).

Feel free to tell me if I understood some parts wrong.

Thanks a lot for your experience and answers :).

Hey!

q1: how these subparts are defined? two different objects? Then use names to find them. If using submeshes (one mesh and multiple material) then you can get sub part using mesh.submeshes[]

q2: I see no problem to use multi-part objects (assuming you are mentioning submeshes)

q3: .babylon file are far more rich. But if .obj are more convenient go ahead :) please note that .babylon file can be saved with multiple parts per mesh (submeshes) where .obj don't

q4: Correct

q5: I can't see why you cannot do that :)