Exclusives

Eebs

If you sell an exclusive license, what does it cover? Is it just other games portals, could you still bring it to consoles etc? If not as is, how much would you have to change it, could you bring out a directors cut, sequel, Super Meat Boy to the original Meat Boy? Also, what companies are there that accept desktop games? I'd much rather make proper games with proper controls as it were. Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this.

Much of what you ask would be something to sort out with the people licensing the game

Agreements are negotiable, so as long as you're up-front with your requests and make sure the contract stipulates everything clearly then I'm sure you'll be able to agree to a license that works out for both sides (eg.  publisher has exclusive rights to web and app stores, you have rights to console, pc download etc.)

Be wary of the term 'sub-licensing', this can mean different things to different people - so if it pops up in an agreement make sure it is defined clearly and you're happy with the implications

There used to be lots of desktop game portals. I haven't looked in a long time so I don't which ones are still around. A few of the big ones are Bigfishgames.com, Popcap.com, and Gamehouse.com. Again, I'm not sure which ones still accept indie game submissions. Personally, I see casual desktop games as a market in decline as people move to web and mobile games. I'd rather invest my efforts developing games for the platforms of the future rather than the platforms of the past.