[ImpactJS] "Shadows of Adam" by Something Classic

lTyl

Heya! I've been a long-time lurker on these fine forums, and I hope to change that by becoming an active and valuable member here. There are a lot of great like-minded developers to communicate with and share in our common interest; game dev with HTML5 technologies. The entire team on this title is very humble and open. If you need a re-tweet or just want to chat, feel free to give get in touch! We love helping out other devs. Finally, for my first post, I want to share a Kickstarter funded project I have been working on with 4-other talented developers:

icon.png

Game Websitehttp://www.shadowsofadam.com/

Developer: Something Classic Games LLC.

Developer Websitehttp://www.somethingclassic.net/

Developer Blog: http://blog.somethingclassic.net/

Press Kit: Press Kit

Buy: Direct | Humble Store | Steam

All pre-orders receive instant access to the beta.

Shadows of Adam is the self-proclaimed modern day successor to the oft-heralded classic JRPGs of the ‘90s. A shining example of sensibility through contemporary design. Its incredible story is backed by world-class pixel art and nostalgia-inducing music that you’ll be humming for decades to come. Random encounters, mindless dungeons, and empty dialogue are all tossed aside, favoring instead, substance through simplicity: only the choicest cuts of story make the game; every battle provides a meaningful challenge; each map is its own expression of exploration and beauty.

The story follows an outcast with a fearful power who ventures out into the unknown world to save her father and herself. Along the journey, dangerous foes present an ever-growing challenge, and players will have to level up, find equipment, and learn new skills to overcome them. Combat takes place in a traditional turn-based battle system, albeit an upended one. Notable mainstays like ability points have been redesigned from the ground up to support faster paced battles where using powerful skills is an every round affair, and the only way to succeed is through careful planning. Dungeon exploration takes a similar turn where intent and purpose help drive the player’s decisions. Whether riding hot air vents in a smoldering volcano, battling Cthulhu-like plant monsters in a murky swamp, or solving puzzles crafted by ancient practitioners of magic, every step and turn in Shadows of Adam promises to offer some novel experience, guaranteeing thrills and twists that will keep players guessing until the very end.

header_screenshots.png

ss_71de5cbf4163f6dc89b3159b9e96d46d0c3e1ss_af14295ee5455085330fd24d62c19b365fe55ss_ebd1840f74b00c7e8d89968078d00b36382c1ss_6ea361597997e4980a8d6caf8f5217479feea

More Screenshots: http://www.shadowsofadam.com/

header_features.png

• 16-bit JRPG glory with a modern design
  • 10-12 hours of gameplay (12-14 if you never figure out how to run)
  • Delicious graphics (consume raw at your own risk)
  • A deep, character-driven story with lots of humor
  • Blazing fast battles that will set your pants on fire
  • No random battles. Monsters are on screen, waiting for you to thrash them!
  • Four playable heroes with unique skills
  • Save anywhere!
  • Inspired music you will find yourself humming twenty years from now

header_perks.png

• Suplex dragons
  • Revel with clean freak pirates
  • Sneak past gambling addicted guards
  • Learn novel new swear words
  • Sample strawberry flavored potions
  • Evade taxes at a booming black market
  • Deface ancient graves
  • Run from the cabbage lady
  • Eat the mushroom sauce of a lunatic witch (with a fork)
  • Stomp through an old man's house in the middle of the godforsaken night
  • Why are you still reading this? Get the game!

Developed by:

header.png

Connect:

Twitter: @SomethingClassc

Facebook: Something Classic Games

Kickstarter: Kickstarter

Technical:

• IDE: Webstorm 10
  • Development Server: WAMP
  • Version Control: GIT via GitHub
  • Game Engine: ImpactJS
  • Programming Language: JavaScript, PHP
  • Level Editor: Weltmeister
  • Code Debugging: TraceGL / Webstorm
  • Bug Tracking: Trello
  • Binary Distribution: Electron
  • File Sharing: Dropbox / FTP / Google Drive
  • Game Script / Design Document: Google Docs
  • Team Communication: Slack / Email
  • more Info:Tools of the Trade

Choice Development Articles from our blog other developers may enjoy:

1 hour ago, Goblet Ed said:

I've seen many pixel art games on steam and I've gotta say; You guys hit the nail right on the head when it comes to a beautiful pixel art graphics by using the best practices when it comes to creating pixel art. :D

Nice work!

Thanks! We definitely spent a lot of time on the art to get it "just right." Here is what it looked like before:

001.png

All of our artists did a phenomenal job getting us from there to the art you see today. 

Clearly a lot of work done here, and the trailer looks ace - so you'll attract a lot of positive remarks from fans of the genre(s) and supporters of your project!  Therefore I'll throw some alternative comments at you that might also help as you begin the next stage ...

Where do I play it?  Is there a free demo (ideally in browser), or do I need to buy it and install before I can play?

Why mix art styles?  Promo art looks quite different to the in-game experience, and may confuse the nostalgic coherence?

18 hours ago, b10b said:

Clearly a lot of work done here, and the trailer looks ace - so you'll attract a lot of positive remarks from fans of the genre(s) and supporters of your project!  Therefore I'll throw some alternative comments at you that might also help as you begin the next stage ...

Where do I play it?  Is there a free demo (ideally in browser), or do I need to buy it and install before I can play?

Why mix art styles?  Promo art looks quite different to the in-game experience, and may confuse the nostalgic coherence?

Thanks for the comments! We have a Web demo over on shadowsofadam.com. I'm not actively sharing the link because that demo is 11-months old at this point, and quite a bit has changed since. Updating the Web demo is on the to do list. I also am planning on getting a demo live on Steam as well. 

Regarding the difference in art styles from the game versus promotional art, this was done mainly as a throwback when game box art would have outrageous cover art compared to the art style of the game. 

@lemmo Thank you!