Chrome bug?

Richard C

Whoa, TerrainMaterial stopped working with a very similar error message, in chrome 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit) / Win10  and FF 50.1.0. Edge  38.14393.0.0 is OK!

BJS - [15:38:32]: Error: WARNING: 0:463: '
' : extension directive should occur before any non-preprocessor tokens 
WARNING: 0:463: 'GL_OES_standard_derivatives' : extension is not supported
ERROR: 0:468: 'dFdx' : no matching overloaded function found 
ERROR: 0:468: '=' :  cannot convert from 'const float' to 'highp 3-component vector of float'
ERROR: 0:469: 'dFdy' : no matching overloaded function found 
ERROR: 0:469: '=' :  cannot convert from 'const float' to 'highp 3-component vector of float'
ERROR: 0:470: 'dFdx' : no matching overloaded function found 
ERROR: 0:470: '=' :  cannot convert from 'const float' to 'highp 2-component vector of float'
ERROR: 0:471: 'dFdy' : no matching overloaded function found 
ERROR: 0:471: '=' :  cannot convert from 'const float' to 'highp 2-component vector of float'
  babylon.js:3:25521
BJS - [15:38:32]: Vertex shader:terrain  babylon.js:3:25521
BJS - [15:38:32]: Fragment shader:terrain

@Richard C :Your citybuilder water and ground material stopped working too:
 http://misc.blicky.net/c2/?id=1&highfps

citybuilder.JPG

I have a alpha version of a Babylonjs WebGL 2.0 extension, its only an extension, so you can use it, whit every version of Babylonjs. But i'm of time for debuging :/ And i dont know when i came to do more

So yeah, we are hitting the new Age of Web experience. Somebody have to do a pull request on this :)

Now, as it happens, Santa Claus failed to bring me a new machine, so I had no alternative but to treat myself to a new, all singing and dancing PC. Latest Babylon, latest Blender, latest Blender exporter, latest everything. No problem - all working fine.

So I think we can conclude that the error is machine specific and latest chrome not liking the latest drivers for the graphic card on that particularly machine. I shall use the old machine for other tasks and think just for the final clincher, I shall go back to an early restore point and just see if the problem repeats itself.

Genuine thanks to all who participated

Seasons greetings

Richard C

• 1 month later...

Ok not to disturb the peace.

I have a similar bug on the tempcanvas.getContext() in the Engine._canRenderTextureOfType():

tempcanvas.getContext("webgl") returns null in Chrome but the correct context in Cannari.. does not make much sense. Both tempcanvas objects look the same...

58dbb0ce4ed0a_ScreenShot2017-03-29at14_57_32.thumb.png.12bd464e51b9dcf097edc0de9003a441.png

(left is cannari)

The bundle babylon.max.js is here : 

https://github.com/albertbuchard/experiment-babylon-js/blob/master/lib/babylon.max.js 

I can getContext("2d") but not webgl or webgl2 or experimental webgl...

If anyone has a clue what might be going on - any help would be appreciated :)

EDIT:

OK NVM... restart chrome did not work... cleared the cache did not work.. restarted chrome again worked! ?

One thing I laughed (in pain), is that when using facebook in chrome, something is wrong with their video renderer, so it "consumes contexts".
After a while, you cannot get a new 2d or 3d canvas, context, just after restarting chrome.

Chrome is just showing "aw Snaps" and Babylon stops working.
This is translated "A manóba" in hungarian, meaning "Argh, the goblins."
Silly.

But this is not a Babylon issue :)