Beached! ...A brandnew free Interactive Fiction game.

Ewald

Hi there!
My name is Ewald Bal. I'm the CSO at BrightSight-People, an indie software company from The Netherlands.

I've always loved text adventures or Interactive Fiction nowadays. And I am proud to bring you a brand-new and totally free game called “Beached!” An oldschool text adventure with modern-day touches.

In Beached! you play a stranded, cocky castaway roaming a deserted island in the Caribbean Sea. Help this poor guy survive the island, using nothing but it’s natural resources, which is easier said than done, of course. 

Beached! Is a small game, as it is the first in a series to come. Survival is your main goal in this first part, escaping the island will happen in later episodes. I hope you’ll enjoy Beached! For its atmosphere and crazy sense of humor if you force the protagonist into wacky situations.

Play Beached! at: https://beached.000webhostapp.com/
It’s a totally free game with NO advertisements.
Please, mail feedback if you enjoyed the game (or not...) and suggest a good name for our hero, to be used in upcoming episodes.

Greetz,
Ewald Bal
mail: [email protected]

game.png

startup.jpg

walkthru.png

@Ewald Possible typo / translation: Tekst vs Text?

Also I rage quit the game.  Even using the walkthrough I found it near impossible to coerce the language system to do obvious things.  For example I was unable to make a fire because I needed a branch, yet could not get a branch from the adjacent bushes (that were full of branches?).  I was also unable to make a fire because I needed to use the word "campfire" etc.  The mood and objectives are admirable but for general consumption loads more synonyms and clues are needed.

15 hours ago, b10b said:

@Ewald Possible typo / translation: Tekst vs Text?

Also I rage quit the game.  Even using the walkthrough I found it near impossible to coerce the language system to do obvious things.  For example I was unable to make a fire because I needed a branch, yet could not get a branch from the adjacent bushes (that were full of branches?).  I was also unable to make a fire because I needed to use the word "campfire" etc.  The mood and objectives are admirable but for general consumption loads more synonyms and clues are needed.

Thx b10b, this is the feedback I'm looking for.
Beached! part 1 is a pilot for a much bigger and better part 2 to come. I'm looking for these discomforts in part 1. Indeed, I used branches as a hint to get wood in the timber area trying not to give the game away too much. Other players came up with comparable examples. The parser in part 2 will have a large synonyms list, that's for sure. And typos... they're my horror, I know.

Thanks for playing and your feedback, you just helped making Beached! part 2 a better game.

You're welcome, a text adventure is a challenge for sure.  I'd be interested to know your motivation towards such a genre over, for example, a point-and-click adventure?

Also, to add to my previous comments ... some positives:

1) I appreciated the shorthand (e.g. go n)
2) Being able to edit the previous command (with up) was intuitive
3) The audio was emotive and well placed

14 hours ago, b10b said:

You're welcome, a text adventure is a challenge for sure.  I'd be interested to know your motivation towards such a genre over, for example, a point-and-click adventure?

Also, to add to my previous comments ... some positives:

1) I appreciated the shorthand (e.g. go n)
2) Being able to edit the previous command (with up) was intuitive
3) The audio was emotive and well placed

My love for a text adventure over a point&click comes from the feeling of freedom. Any command is possible, given the creativity of the writer/programmer. Point&clicks are limited to the clickable commands. Texts are pure puzzlers, clicks can be solved through trial and error.

Then again, Beached 2 will be a bit of both, as hinted in part 1. Sometimes clicking through the easier puzzles is satisfying enough.