FGL.com launching HTML5 API

relaxx

Note - that this is NOT just for API implementation for HTML5 game in general.

They would like to distribute the game to Amazon, Tizen and some other marketplaces (will take their cut and will share revenue with you). 

That's more or less clearly writting in this page, but I thought I'd clarify anyway. 

True Valhalla - it did not sound like a particularly good deal from the beginning. Your second post correctly summarizes the reasons why I am not doing it right now through them. "Haha, what? For $200? What a joke" though is not a correct statement. 

As for cash incentives, I think you are talking more about appbackr and other third-parties. Tizen store on its own (=Samsung), afaik, does not provide one to open public (apart from Tizen competition they host). FGL is not different here from these third-parties.

However, there are certain advantages in doing it via FGL for certain types of the games. For example, it might be easier for the game to be spotted (if a particular game is IAP-friendly) through FGL. Estimation of particular shared revenue potential is up to each developer. My own estimates are in line with yours, ads and inaps are not going to bring anything at Amazon appstore. 

As for "FGL can't even monetize HTML5 games on their own large platform" - I think there is a misunderstanding here. It never monetized games on any of the platforms in any way, with the exception to recent mobile service. FGL is b2b service. It helps publishers find developers. It did bring me certain extra deals (and what is more important - contacts) in the HTML5 areas.

No, for revenue share cut + $200 as upfront. This opportunity may (or may not) provide extra visibility of a game.

I am wondering why developers would want to give up a % of their revenues on native platforms like Tizen to a publisher who does not guarantee a certain level of promotion for the games? Surely they should have guarantees on commitment including promotion level and campaign scaling based on their returns.

Without these guarantees you may see your app with a publisher that never does anything to promote on that platform, what's the point giving them a cut then... (e.g. I have a white label deal on google play which after a month generates about $50/day. The revenue is expected to increase in the coming months because the publisher has to reach contractual targets)

And from a wild guess, since BigRebel is a subscription based platform I am sure that FGL makes its money back already by the single deal they have with them ;)

sandy234 - that's up to developers to evaluate their chances, of course. But I highly doubt that app featured for a day, for example, can bring more than 50-100k installs, basing on my native apps experience in the appstore, and scaling it to single-country Amazon appstore.

And, most importantly, there's no guarantee here. It is not like: "Your game looks cool, make sure it fits the screen and works well, we will feature it". It is more like: "Do that, and you have some chances, and prize is not that huge".

I agree with True Valhalla that there are more lucrative options in HTML5 space right now than taking bets like that. You can get $200 for implementing someone's API and keep ALL the revenue from the store. :)

OkijinGames - yes, that's the reason why I do not join FGL mobile platform myself, almost repeated your arguments in my own words. :)

OkijinGames - yes, that's the reason why I do not join FGL mobile platform myself, almost repeated your arguments in my own words. :)

That makes us three! I'd never take little or no money in exchange for revenue share, no matter how big the publisher - if they are big and serious, then they'd surely agree for a significant upfront sum and/or advance payment. It's a competitive market and you can't rely on promises to pay rent :)

It's incredible how live is repetitive.

HTML 5 market is going into the same direction as Flash market went many time ago:

developers, in the hope to earn more, are gradually moving from licenses model into ad revenue sharing... In the long run prices of game licenses will fall a lot and they will start coding for food...

It's a pitty.

coding like a slave for only 200$ today, 100$ the day after, free in the future. html5 Coders should be worry about these initiatives and consider to reject them. I'm very serious, i know lots of us could be happy for that kind of deal only because they have a change of make money in a very fast way, without considering the downgrade of the role the html5 coder could suffer.

I don't want to start a flame war, but I have to disagree. :)

I'm part in the biggest forum for arcade owners (I'm not sure whether it's allowed to put links to other forums so I won't cite its name) and almost all forum mates report that their traffic are getting better and better.

From time to time someone appears there offering mobile games and HTML5 games and it causes a wave of anger among the forum participants , who do not believe that the flash will die.

The vast majority think that the increase in the number of mobile users does not mean the death of flash . It just means that the number of users with mobile access increased.

The proof is that the traffic of their sites is increasing every day.

I have several sites and I can assure you that my traffic has only increased.

They refuse to invest in programs for mobile devices (whether native or HTML programs ) .

Many even believe that with the increased processing power of tablets flash will be ported to these devices. I do not know if this will happen or not but I hope so :).

Also, I do not believe the price of the flash games have fallen because of mobile devices. In my opinion what made the price fall was the large increase in the suppliers of Flash games .

It happened on iPhone market (in the very beginning any crap app generated a huge amount of money) and I'm sure that this effect will occur in the HTML5 market too. It's just a matter of time.

Today the click rate is high on mobile ads, in my opinion, due to the effect of " fat finger " user. Soon or later advertisers will realize that they are paying overpriced and the price paid for mobile ads will also drop.

Anyway, I will continue to invest in all sides: Flash ( I think it will take at least another five years to die ), in programs for mobile devices, and in games in HTML5.

Regards.

flash prices droped bec of mobile. Nothing to do with ads. People just shifted to mobile

Hey Everyone,

About our current offering.  True, it may not be for everyone.  But I wanted to clarify what we were offering:

- we are paying $200 just to have your game on our platform.  Our current promotion is to get the game in three markets, but we plan to add more in the future.  If we do add them, and there is a license component, we will pass that money on to you.  We will not merely take the money.  Any money earned at all is cut with our usual 70/30 platform cut.  So, the $200 is not your traditional license deal.  We're not putting the game up on our site or anything like that.  So it really can't be compared.  In fact, this is an offer we will probably be removing in the near future.. we're just wanting to drum up interest.  The deals we work out with Amazon and BigRebel etc for promotion of games is worth a lot more to developers than the $200.

- I wanted to clarify what our API does.  It is pretty cool:  any new marketplace that opens up, we can get your game on it with very little to no work.  So, if we can get an upfront amount and good rev share for your game.. you can possibly take it with no extra work.  Our API will automatically update to handle ads, in game purchases, cross promotion, etc...  

- We will not push your game anywhere without your permission (we do offer the ability for you to give us that automatic permission if you want, though)  So if you don't feel we're offering a good deal... just don't take it.

- You can pick and choose what markets you want to push your game to.  Don't feel like you have to go into ever market we offer.  If you just want to get special promotion on Amazon, then do that.  If you just want to get on Big Rebel to see how that works, choose that option only.  It's up to you :)

I see that with the html5 community we have to build up our respect.  In Flash, everyone knows that we are always on the side of the developer.  We revolutionized the web game industry by advocating for developers.  We want to do the same here.  FGL wants to trailblaze for html5 devs.  That has to start somewhere, so we're starting it here.  The reality is, as some of you pointed out, the way market works for html5 games is different than other mobile games, and Flash games.  So we are having to think outside the box.  Our mobile platform for html5 games isn't just to get on new marketplaces, though that is a great opportunity.  It will also allow us to help you license your games.  It will help us bring you new opportunities with ads, and in-game purchases, and other technologies that come around in this space.  It is exciting, and I really think our platform will help push things forward more quickly than they would happen otherwise.

And as usual, if you have suggestions to make things better, let us know!

• 2 months later...

Insteresting, anyone know if its possible to implement their api on a Construct 2 game?

Mhh, I don´t think so. With game maker you should have the same problems. But $200 to do whatever they want with your game...

You can implement their API in a construst 2 and game maker html5 game. You have to edit the exported file.

HTML 5 market is going into the same direction as Flash market went many time ago:

developers, in the hope to earn more, are gradually moving from licenses model into ad revenue sharing... In the long run prices of game licenses will fall a lot and they will start coding for food...

It's a pitty.

It's a pitty.