Megabyte

Hi, its my firsh HTML5 game, I made it after playing PIxel Dungeon : )

For UI i used react.js. Gameplay part is canvas+js. No any other frameworks. Maybe for next my game ill take phaser. : )

Features:

• 8 bosses
  • about 25 enemies
  • items with random generated properties
  • random generated levels

You can play it here: https://pixel-cave.com

About any bugs you can report me in game menu. : ) I've fixed some bugs, reported via these menu already.

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

This looks really great. I've only played it for a short amount of time, but very nice. 

I like the Reactjs approach - it's something I have been playing with as well and am finding I can easily transfer my day job (webdev) knowledge onto gamedev. Did you come across any major hiccups with using React? 

1 hour ago, cjke said:

This looks really great. I've only played it for a short amount of time, but very nice. 

I like the Reactjs approach - it's something I have been playing with as well and am finding I can easily transfer my day job (webdev) knowledge onto gamedev. Did you come across any major hiccups with using React? 

Thnak you.

React gived no any problems. I worried about performance of elements which overlap canvas, but looks like it doesn't give any impact. I update ingame UI not each frame. 4 times per second only.

19 hours ago, Vauteck said:

Very nice game, do you plan on selling it for exclusive / non-exclusive license ? Anyway congrats for all the work you have put into it.

My planes for now, just keep it on my web site and look if people will like to play it : ) And make next levels step by sptep.

12 hours ago, Umz said:

Really well made. Liked it alot, just couldn't get far enough! Not enough potions to take me all the way

Maybe game too hard, as it is happen when some one make game for him self : ) Maybe i have to add easy/normal mode choosing?

I couldn't get past the hive yet, but it's pretty nice. Personally I prefer roguelikes to not be real time, but most people probably like real time better so that is understandable.
I think the difficulty is at a good level for what it is and the game is fun, I like it better than pixel dungeon, unless I'm thinking of something else

3 hours ago, danyburton said:

I couldn't get past the hive yet, but it's pretty nice. Personally I prefer roguelikes to not be real time, but most people probably like real time better so that is understandable.
I think the difficulty is at a good level for what it is and the game is fun, I like it better than pixel dungeon, unless I'm thinking of something else

I decided make it realtime to make it's different from another roguelikes : ) Some time i want to pass difficult places in step by step mode too. But for really hard places you can slowdown speed of battle in settings menu. So you will have more time for fast intems management.

10 hours ago, teng2 said:

How did you implement the fog of war?

fog.png

This file contains 256 variants of fog for one tile. Tile on map has 8 neigbor tiles. Check if all 8 neighbors visible or not, and so get 8 bits. This 8 bits is 0-255 numeric index, by this index we take fog tile on texture i showed.

1 hour ago, teng2 said:

Wow, that's really cool. Is that the same as the line-of-sight system? How do you get the line-of-sight to go all the way down a zigzagging diagonal corridor?

fog and line-of-sight is not related actually. For line of sight, for each tile i made list of tiles visible from this tile, by simple ray tracing. on each map modification i recalculate lists of visibleTiles. When player go on new tile, just need eterate list of visible tiles and mark visible tiles (tile.isVisible=true);

Then on fog draw, check isVisible property for each neighbor tile and calculate fog texture index.

7 hours ago, Saitei said:

Is the floor 32 monster with the hood bugged? It takes nearly 0 damage and kills the player within 2-3 hits.

THIS!!???!!?=??!! OMG cant get past lvl 32!!

Very nice game so far, seems very polished, but I hope to see more updates to the difficulty curve and randomization. Now that I got the hold of it, it's alright difficulty wise for me, besides lvl 32 of cause, but as a first-time player it was super difficult to get past even the first boss or two. Even now though, because of the randomization, some runs I just can't get very far because of poor items / not enough health-potion drops etc. So maybe some kind of rating of items and make them drop at least X amout before lvl 10, 20, 30 etc. instead of what seems like completely random drops.

Very nice so far though :)

11 hours ago, Saitei said:

Is the floor 32 monster with the hood bugged? It takes nearly 0 damage and kills the player within 2-3 hits.

I see your report in bug reports : ) Thank you. This ghost unit is very powerfull really. But they only one or two per level. So i thought its will be relativly balanced : ) Maybe try to trick him and just run to next level, or kill by paralyzation seed or gas.

I made him less powerful anyway : ) - 20%attack and -20% defence. If i remember exactly.

3 hours ago, JakeCake said:

THIS!!???!!?=??!! OMG cant get past lvl 32!!

Very nice game so far, seems very polished, but I hope to see more updates to the difficulty curve and randomization. Now that I got the hold of it, it's alright difficulty wise for me, besides lvl 32 of cause, but as a first-time player it was super difficult to get past even the first boss or two. Even now though, because of the randomization, some runs I just can't get very far because of poor items / not enough health-potion drops etc. So maybe some kind of rating of items and make them drop at least X amout before lvl 10, 20, 30 etc. instead of what seems like completely random drops.

Very nice so far though :)

Thank you : ) I just made one small update. Added chest of inheritance, now, after death you can choose one item to pass to next life : ) Its like inherit item to your son. Maybe its will make game a bit easier and preexpectable. And one small bug for some browsers was fixed.

Thank you all for feedback, i will update and fix bugs as soon as ill have time. :D

Any chance of adding functionality to export and import save data? Some of these runs are quite time consuming and I'd like to be able to turn off the computer without losing progress. (For example save allowing the user to copy a string containing all their save info, and load allowing the user to paste that string)

1 minute ago, Saitei said:

Any chance of adding functionality to export and import save data? Some of these runs are quite time consuming and I'd like to be able to turn off the computer without losing progress. (For example save allowing the user to copy a string containing all their save info, and load allowing the user to paste that string)

Game saves after each level. And if turn of computer you will start from current level next time. If you lose all progress after closing browser, its probably bug, and i have to fix it.

I didn make export, because its way to replay levels unlimited times, and its totally kill roguelike idea : )