True Valhalla

What are your plans for 2017?

It looks like 2017 is going to be a huge year for HTML5. Flash is officially being dropped from Chrome and Firefox, touch payments will become prominent with the launch of Apple Pay and Google Pay on the mobile web, and Facebook is launching Instant Games in a renewed show of faith in HTML5.

Are you going to capitalize on any of these shifts in the market? What are your plans for 2017 and beyond?

Currently working on a multiplayer game (socket.io+expressjs+firebase). Just finished creating my account on heroku for testing lol.

Sadly, I don't have any Android phone with android version 5 and above, so i can't try out the Instant Games feature. I do, however, plan on releasing it on Chrome Webstore, Facebook's app platform, as a Skype bot (it's turn based), any platform I can find that supports bots, mobile (maybe), marketplaces like FGL and itch.io, and the internet in general. But this is just the plan, what might happen is that I release to the internet and support mobile devices and that's it. If the game becomes popular then I'll start moving towards other platforms.

I really want to get into the Chrome Webstore market, I can feel it growing (even though my Chromebook is dead and I'm now using a Lenovo).  And with things like Chromebooks being sold more than macs happening, I definitely want in. Also, the fact that Android apps have arrived worries me 'cause I want some market share and competing against apps like Clash of Clans or Clash Royale, isn't part of the plan.

I never knew about the whole Apple Pay API. Looks like I'll try using their api in my game. Maybe add a few in-app purchases here and there.

(That reminds me, I remember you talking about Kingfall -- really excited to see what you create and how it performs -- and I remembered this website. It has a lot of information on Psychology of Gamers. Also this could be of some help as well. Lot's of info on consumer behavior. Hope they are helpful resources even though there's a good chance you already read them. Moving on...)

Definitely fixing my website, it looks like a crime scene (http://ndaygames.com). Actually, I think I'll just remove it and start afresh. Being thinking of using a heavily modified version of MaterializeCSS instead of using Twitter's Bootstrap css.

But yes, that's the current plan, also hope to read more of your Income Reports. Each time I read yours or @devMidgard's I feel like prototyping lol.

Hi Matthew!

It's great to hear of the information you provided! Also, it's definitely looking like a promising year! I hope you find the same success as last year :D 

This year I turn my focus full time to Game Dev! I currently have a company that's outsourcing my programming skills for multiple Android/iOS games and along that I'm fine tuning my focus on HTML5 games. A new, better website and more games being developed this year :) So business for HTML5 should boom and I look forward to learning more about the industry and growing my skills!

The Apple Pay & Google Pay does indeed look interesting, I'm going to be taking a look into it sooner rather than later.

Wishing everyone a Happy and Successful 2017!

Hi Matthew!

This year I will focus on actually releasing games into the wild to make a secondary income to complement my day job.

I do not care if it's a frugal one this year since it would be more like a "let's learn by doing" kind of thing to me.

Meanwhile I'll teach myself about the market itself and how to do business (I've been an employee my whole life so that's not something really obvious to me).

We can resume my 2017 by: "Do. Make mistakes. Learn."

Happy new year to all developers out there.

I also have very good feelings about 2017.

My personal goals is to release my first game on Steam. And by the end of 2017 I want to go public and release a game project of mine I'm working on now for many, many years (nothing announced yet). Besides that, I had quite a good start to get my foot into the HTML5 Games Business during the last few months. Until now I've only ported my older projects to HTML5 to get a feeling how this market works and now I'm feeling ready to develop new original content. I'm very excited already ;)

And I want to play more games. Because I became father and I had a quite high workload I didn't play many games last year, and I definitely want to take some time to play more this year. Hooray ;)

Should be a crazy productive year for me. I recently moved to a cheap as heck place in Taiwan so I can just work on my stuff full time without fear of running out of money.

I want to start using Phaser for educational stuff! I plan on making a writing mini-game that complements lessons in my language learning apps here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Jernung

And finishing an alphabet game for kids. I thought it would be fun to have a different mini-game per letter...and that's why it's taking me forever to finish it :D

On 05/01/2017 at 9:22 AM, Kitanga Nday (NDAY Games) said:

Is there an library that simplifies the use of both APIs. So you just call a function and you can pay through either Apple or Google depending on user choice. If not then I think I'm starting a git repo for this.

@Kitanga Nday (NDAY Games) Not that I know of but I've recently attended an internal meeting at Apple regarding Apple Pay, ludicrously easy to setup and unlike some older Google apis looked like it was put together by JS devs rather than cobbled together by whoever was available, even if they'd never touched JS.

The workflow for paying is ridiculously easy for both consumer and merchant, although its Safari only, presumably Google would have similar constraints.

Stripe support it natively, not sure about web, not sure about PayPal/Braintree yet.

11 hours ago, mattstyles said:

@Kitanga Nday (NDAY Games) Not that I know of but I've recently attended an internal meeting at Apple regarding Apple Pay, ludicrously easy to setup and unlike some older Google apis looked like it was put together by JS devs rather than cobbled together by whoever was available, even if they'd never touched JS.

The workflow for paying is ridiculously easy for both consumer and merchant, although its Safari only, presumably Google would have similar constraints.

Stripe support it natively, not sure about web, not sure about PayPal/Braintree yet.

Ah I see. Apple usually tries to keep things exclusive to their products. I think I'll see if there's a way that the user can pay depending on what device they are on. Google tends to have a little more openness when it comes to their APIs so I'm sure it will work on safari.

But now that I think about it, I think I'll just let the user pick which method they want to pay with, making sure that we only use the Apple Pay API in safari.

Thanks btw for the input

@Kitanga Nday (NDAY Games) in this case it actually makes sense, its not a web-page thing, but a web-browser thing, Apple Pay is baked in to the browser for security (plus it works offline, which might not make too much sense for web but does for native apps), so Chrome Firefox et al would have to implement the same code in the browser to allow Apple Pay to work, which I'm guessing at present is unlikely. I'd also figure Google to have similar restrictions. PayPal are pioneering a standard for this sort of thing though, I don't know much about it but presumably the standard would be implemented by browser vendors and then payment methods use that standard so different payment methods can be available everywhere, although this doesn't make perfect sense to me because not every payment provider takes a cut (Apple take no cut of Apple Pay transactions—I think—, unlike PayPal, who usually do).

2 hours ago, mattstyles said:

@Kitanga Nday (NDAY Games) in this case it actually makes sense, its not a web-page thing, but a web-browser thing, Apple Pay is baked in to the browser for security (plus it works offline, which might not make too much sense for web but does for native apps), so Chrome Firefox et al would have to implement the same code in the browser to allow Apple Pay to work, which I'm guessing at present is unlikely. I'd also figure Google to have similar restrictions. PayPal are pioneering a standard for this sort of thing though, I don't know much about it but presumably the standard would be implemented by browser vendors and then payment methods use that standard so different payment methods can be available everywhere, although this doesn't make perfect sense to me because not every payment provider takes a cut (Apple take no cut of Apple Pay transactions—I think—, unlike PayPal, who usually do).

It's pretty obvious why PayPal are pushing for that lol (I'm guessing someone in the PayPal team has been hearing this song in their head lol. But then again, we say this).

But yea, on a more serious note, if you remember the touch event api, I'm pretty sure that started with Apple and then everyone started adopting it. Most browsers would benefit from having this API running on their software 'cause it keeps the users on their browsers. But anyways, like you said, this is will most likely not happen.

Happy 2017!

My plans are to release 4 HTML5 games this year. 2 casual games and 2 games inspired by this article http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-11-07-video-games-are-boring which encouraged me to create replayable mobile games that are story driven over graphicially pretty casual  games.

I may not be able to do all of this, I've moving to the North of England before the end of the year and will need to find a new full time job whilst I create HTML5 games, but as a priority expanding my HTML5 portfolio is essential.

It would be interesting for everyone to reply to this thread in December 2017 to see how their respective plans took shape: 

• Did you accomplish everything you wanted to in 2017?
  • What obstacles stood in your way? 
  • Any lessons learned you will carry forward?
  • How you overcame the obstacles?
  • Was the market receptive to your plans/products?

3 hours ago, Jadegames said:

It would be interesting for everyone to reply to this thread in December 2017 to see how their respective plans took shape: 

We do something similar within the team at the end of year, every year. An annual critique helps the planning process and makes sure everyone's on the same page.

2016 was a super productive year, really hard, but really rewarding. 2017 we're looking to improve though, we want to have some Steam and Mobile attempts on top of steady contract work.

Mobile store games are really getting awkward due to freemium model. I have lost my interest in mobile store games and I think that masses will follow. That's unfortunate.

I bet that year 2017 will be big for HTML5 games, but I wish they are not designed just for in-app purchases. Not every game needs to feel like a slot machine.

1 hour ago, GameQuack.com said:

Mobile store games are really getting awkward due to freemium model. I have lost my interest in mobile store games and I think that masses will follow. That's unfortunate.

Actually according to Newzoo web games have been receiving less traffic compared to the last years (I'm talking about casual web games). And this is apparently due to people moving to mobile apps and the like.

I bet that year 2017 will be big for HTML5 games, but I wish they are not designed just for in-app purchases. Not every game needs to feel like a slot machine.

Actually in-app purchases aren't bad. It's when you design the game specifically to frustrate players so that they pay up, this is when it's bad. Riot games is one example of a company that's doing things right. You pay for skins and champions but still can play without ever buying with real money.

Call of Duty is another one that's doing things right with their Supply Drop system. I personally love it. The issue with most developers is that they forget not everyone is rich and that they should offer alternatives for the less fortunate. You find that those same players could end up buying just because they are enjoying your freemium game so much (me when I used to play League of Legends)

My plans are to continue making small HTML5 games for licensing, aiming at releasing around 10 this year. However, I hope to release a bigger game on Mobile and Steam. I am still a skeptic about playing a big game in your mobile browser rather than using a dedicated app that will perform faster, won't have to be downloaded every time, and would be much harder to hack.

All great ideas :)

I myself am working on a HTML console + API (like airconsole). I am almost in a 0.1 phase. I am now in the process of setting up the server and dockerizing all modules (site, client, api, developer site). All code is open source and can be found on: http://github.com/bdekk/xentha. I hope to extend this project in 2017 and make a stable release. I am still working on plans to monetize it through advertisements for example. Next to that I would like to make a plan on how to attract developers to build games using the library which I provide to communicate with the api. 

http://dev.end3r.com/2017/01/enclave-games-in-2016-and-plans-for-2017/

Expanding and diversifying my portfolio of services even futher, while making some games in the meantime. For example running gamedev meetups and workshops locally, or launching Open HTML5 Games portal (games/news/jobs). You don't have to focus on making games alone if you want to have a stable income.

Check back every now and then on HTML5... I think it's really progressing way too slowly, after so many years, now it's still like you are trying to turn a webpage into game, instead of, really making a game... a real game. It's super depressing, really.

On 03/08/2017 at 4:07 PM, kob said:

Check back every now and then on HTML5... I think it's really progressing way too slowly, after so many years, now it's still like you are trying to turn a webpage into game, instead of, really making a game... a real game. It's super depressing, really.

Given the success of canvas many years ago and proliferation of canvas/webgl based frameworks I'm not sure HTML5 is still trying to turn a webpage into a game, sure, there are still some basics of shipping a game that are awkward on html5, but given that your game is targeting canvas you're probably not working with the DOM at all (beyond canvas stuff, which is often abstracted away by a framework, ditto for many html5 apis such as gathering input) so it's not really like coding a webpage (or a traditional multi-page site) at all.

The JS language has jumped massively with ES2015, then 16, now 17, so that at the language level you now get access to many things existing in other languages (sometimes more, depending on the other language). The ecosystem is vastly different to trying to make a web-based game just a few years ago, I'm not saying it can't go faster, but there is a big contingent of the opinion that the web (and JS by extension) is developing way too fast.

This year I'm planning to release games on Francois DIY. I want to speed run my own games so I'm learning good level design techniques and programming sprites in Francois DIY Script. For those who don't already know Francois DIY is written in JavaScript. It is running on Electron, though.

On 08/01/2017 at 5:32 PM, Jadegames said:

Happy 2017!

My plans are to release 4 HTML5 games this year. 2 casual games and 2 games inspired by this article http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-11-07-video-games-are-boring which encouraged me to create replayable mobile games that are story driven over graphicially pretty casual  games.

I may not be able to do all of this, I've moving to the North of England before the end of the year and will need to find a new full time job whilst I create HTML5 games, but as a priority expanding my HTML5 portfolio is essential.

Hi all!

I thought I'd revive this forum post and see how everyone got on in 2017. I have moved to the North of England a week ago and am in a new job. Christmas was a pretty busy time and with the move my computer has mostly been off buried under boxes of boxes of boxes...in 2017 I made Higher or Lower which I am very proud of and not much else unfortunately :( I have been working on making an .io game in GameMaker 1.4 and am hitting brick walls with the limitations of the now-old version of Gamemaker 1.4. It's much harder than it should be to use GameMaker 1.4 to make an .io game (yes, I know I could use the .js extensions, but, how is that any easier/better than just learning and using a JS framework to begin with??) I know GameMaker 2.0 has some real improvements, but reading the YoYo forums, particularly on HTML5 development make it seem like 2 steps forward 1 step back...

My 2018 plans:

1. Exercise - I live pretty close to a big park and my commute is a 15 mins walk
  2. More community engagement - I have a Twitter account and mostly like other people's tweets and even on this forum, I read what people have written but don't add anything. I want to change that and try and post more than never at all.
  3. .io game - I have to get this game finished! Since working on this, I've come up with a few other game ideas I really like that I've not really seen anywhere that I think could work really well, but I've spending all my development time working on this .io game that doesn't work. I think I'll give it 1 more month, then take the (in)sane decision to bin the project I've been working on for 6+ months and start a new one. I've never binned a project before, especially after putting so much time/effort into it, put I have to admit, it is more like a black hole of my time than anything else.

How did everyone else's 2017 go?

8 hours ago, Jadegames said:

Hi all!

I thought I'd revive this forum post and see how everyone got on in 2017. I have moved to the North of England a week ago and am in a new job. Christmas was a pretty busy time and with the move my computer has mostly been off buried under boxes of boxes of boxes...in 2017 I made Higher or Lower which I am very proud of and not much else unfortunately :( I have been working on making an .io game in GameMaker 1.4 and am hitting brick walls with the limitations of the now-old version of Gamemaker 1.4. It's much harder than it should be to use GameMaker 1.4 to make an .io game (yes, I know I could use the .js extensions, but, how is that any easier/better than just learning and using a JS framework to begin with??) I know GameMaker 2.0 has some real improvements, but reading the YoYo forums, particularly on HTML5 development make it seem like 2 steps forward 1 step back...

My 2018 plans:

1. Exercise - I live pretty close to a big park and my commute is a 15 mins walk
  2. More community engagement - I have a Twitter account and mostly like other people's tweets and even on this forum, I read what people have written but don't add anything. I want to change that and try and post more than never at all.
  3. .io game - I have to get this game finished! Since working on this, I've come up with a few other game ideas I really like that I've not really seen anywhere that I think could work really well, but I've spending all my development time working on this .io game that doesn't work. I think I'll give it 1 more month, then take the (in)sane decision to bin the project I've been working on for 6+ months and start a new one. I've never binned a project before, especially after putting so much time/effort into it, put I have to admit, it is more like a black hole of my time than anything else.

How did everyone else's 2017 go?

Nice! Thanks for the update Jade, and thanks for reviving this!

Last year didn't go quite as planned. I was full time GameDev for 7 Months working on an MMO game for mobile, and then transitioned to a better opportunity back into Software Development. I had around 50 different prototypes created for multiple games... I got around to finishing 3 of them. Not at all satisfied.

This year I have multiple plans though:

• Add at the least, 5 more games to my portfolio, less prototypes, more stable workflow.
  • Get my planned online game into Alpha before October.
  • Start blogging more about Game Development & GameMaker.

I think this might exclusively interest you:

I did make a full transition to GMS 2 though from GMS 1.4, and I can say that the HTML5 module has become a lot more stable than at first. I do however, resist the urge to update whenever there is a new update, I first check to see if there are any issues reported and then make a decision if its worth updating. I cannot risk waiting 2 months for YoYo to fix issues, although they also seem to have picked up some pace around the last 3 months of 2017.