Will Sponsors want to buy a game that has been released as Open Beta?

I remember reading something in the FGL help articles ( on licenses and the like) and remember reading something about sponsors not wanting games that have been released to the public (this was in the Flash Games Era by the way).

Now if I release an HTML game as a Beta for testing will sponsors still want to license the game (e.g. by buying a primary/exclusive license)?

7 hours ago, b10b said:

Swing the question around ... be the "Sponsor" ... which is more valuable:

1. A game that nobody has seen or heard of, has limited real-world testing, but looks good at first glance
  2. A game that has been tested by thousands of players and is showing traction through demonstrable metrics

That's the issue I'm having, I can't choose.

But now that I've read your comment i think 2 is better. Since I can redirect users to my main sponsor's site when I have one. This will mean a lot of traffic to my game from the fet go (That is, if the game was popular to begin with)

18 hours ago, blackmoondev said:

We publish the games on our own catalog - and sponsors are ok with that. I guess if you would keep the game on your own site only - it's going to be ok. 

What do you think about releasing on sites such as www.gamejolt.com

They have a lot of great features I'd like to try out such as the dev logs and what not. Also they have license keys (..I think that's what they are called..) which we can give users for some currently unknown reason (it's unknown to me, but I really want to find out what they are)

Well - I would put the game on my site, have it community tested, find a publisher/sponsor for the game - and decide about the gamejolt after. Putting your game on other portals/sites might mean you would be less likely to find an exclusive publisher (and I understand that's what you are after, right?)

12 hours ago, Kitanga Nday (NDAY Games) said:

But now that I've read your comment i think 2 is better.

I would tend to agree, but the important thing is that you are the Sponsor so it's your choice.  There are pros and cons to either approach, and unfortunately they are (for the most part) mutually exclusive so a choice is needed to prevent contradiction.  As you note the FGL exclusive advice is from a bygone era, for a bygone technology, applied in a bygone way - it's entirely irrelevant for now, and FGL is gone.  Modern thinking tends to be about traction vs churn - I'm not saying that's synonymous with success either, but it's on trend at least.

1 hour ago, blackmoondev said:

Well - I would put the game on my site, have it community tested, find a publisher/sponsor for the game - and decide about the gamejolt after. Putting your game on other portals/sites might mean you would be less likely to find an exclusive publisher (and I understand that's what you are after, right?)

OK, yes, that sounds like a much better (and safer) method.

Exclusive isn't what I want, more on the line of primary. I still want to have the right to distribute to other sites

12 hours ago, b10b said:

I would tend to agree, but the important thing is that you are the Sponsor so it's your choice.  There are pros and cons to either approach, and unfortunately they are (for the most part) mutually exclusive so a choice is needed to prevent contradiction.

Sadly I can't please everyone, and so if they don't want my game because it was already released it's ok, no? :D

As you note the FGL exclusive advice is from a bygone era, for a bygone technology, applied in a bygone way - it's entirely irrelevant for now, and FGL is gone.

is FGL really gone, from what I here they are doing pretty well on the mobile side of things. I wonder what the FGL team would suggest about my idea ( @FGL_Luke @FGL_Merlin). Maybe they've noticed a certain trend that we haven't

Modern thinking tends to be about traction vs churn - I'm not saying that's synonymous with success either, but it's on trend at least.

What is this traction and churn you speak of. I've heard talks about these two topics but never went deeper into it?