how reduce gpu memory?

GBear

hi. i'm developing MMORPG MadWorld
it can play on pc,mobile

you can see movie on under link
https://twitter.com/jandisoft

but mobile has few memory. specially ios under iphone 6(including 6, not 6s)

our game png and jpg to draw image with webgl. but it need a lot of memory..
is there any tips to reduce memory?

i'm considering compressed texture like etc1, pvr,...etc..

but it can't control easy with multi platform.
if you have tips please tell me..

char.png

I'm no expert but wouldn't it be to do with both shader complexity and texture sizes, I'd guess texture sizes would be the major factor.

Not sure if number of textures vs size of textures has an impact i.e. is one big one (i.e. spritesheet) better than many smaller ones? I'd guess it would be, but total guess.

Another solution would be to limit how many you have in memory at a time i.e. load only what you need (ha, sounds like the dark old days!), this might mean designing parts of your game.

@mattstyles hi matt 

yes you right. texture sizes is major factor..
and we don't have any way to control it T-T.  i'm using very very tight...
so i have to find other way like texture compress (i think this is best way but very very hard to control on mobile.  pc is more easy.. .
but mobile T-T.. 

do you have tips?

How do you think?

There was https://github.com/pixijs/pixi-compressed-textures No idea if it works with latest pixi.

Unfortunately, otherwise you're going to _have_ to control texture size. You can't have a problem of too many textures in memory but then say you can't remove textures from memory... You're going to have to find a way or you have no mobile game! 

mattstyles raises a good point.... when in one game area, load textures for it, but when going to another area, delete the old one, and load the new one. Tricky, but possible. 

You could also, for lower devices, have a different set of assets that are of a lower resolution. So you have your x1 assets you're loading now; well, have 50% scaled down versions of them, load them into pixi as x0.5. should be pretty easy to do, and your gpu memory usage is now 25% of what it was. For my game, i have assets for x1, x0.75 and x0.5, and i load the size appropriate for the device.

If you can't do either of those two... do some detection code to not let anyone below your required device spec play. "Sorry, your device is not modern enough to play this game"

@themoonrat thx for your answer

Unfortunately, otherwise you're going to _have_ to control texture size. You can't have a problem of too many textures in memory but then say you can't remove textures from memory... You're going to have to find a way or you have no mobile game! 

ToT ...I will be play on mobile ...this is our very big purpose.... 

mattstyles raises a good point.... when in one game area, load textures for it, but when going to another area, delete the old one, and load the new one. Tricky, but possible

we are doing .... everything . but .. T-T .. specially ios (under iphone6s) .. they have only 1gb memory. so very very bad T-T 
android is normally 2gb more.. so  not bad..

You could also, for lower devices, have a different set of assets that are of a lower resolution. So you have your x1 assets you're loading now; well, have 50% scaled down versions of them, load them into pixi as x0.5. should be pretty easy to do, and your gpu memory usage is now 25% of what it was. For my game, i have assets for x1, x0.75 and x0.5, and i load the size appropriate for the device.

we are doing this too. mobile using 0.5x  pc is 1.0x
but we need more.memory T-T

i think texture-compress is solution. and i will try with etc1 and pvrct
T-T.. too hard..

do you know how convert to etc1 and pvrct from png or jpg?

this is our game shot

Mad World
MMORPG
Platform: PC, MOBILE 

4.game_stash.png

https://twitter.com/jandisoft