Road to Babylon.js v3.0

GameMonetize

Hello all, next version will certainly be 3.0 depending on my progress regarding WebGL2.0 support

I'll use this thread to track progress.

Done so far:

I also started a documentation page to better explain every feature: http://doc.babylonjs.com/overviews/webgl2

I remember when my parents bough me my first PC, i was about 12, i started to buy me some game magazines to play demos, the hole day and the hole night (my mother was worried ) but i guess i was not much different from any other child. So after two months some Graphic Card Company releases something new (hardware-accelerated T&L or - can't recall it right)  and every developer just run into it, so i can't play half of the demos no more, with my nearly brand new PC , i was angry.

From my experience the game industry always pushing the limits.

So babylonjs supports now 2 of 88 WegGL2 functions, right ? :)

@Deltakosh Some of the guys here works for or in big companies, they get money  for sitting the hole day in a nice office and looking into the screen. And if i look at some playgrounds here, nobody ever reads the doc. Most of them still writing the hole road of code to get e.g Mouseposition, Userinteraction etc.  The big change of 2.4 to 2.5 was onPointer is deprecated. I mean if someone request a features it will stays in the history of the engine a long time.

So maybe it would make scene

• to write a doc how to

instead of putting it right away into to community.js babylonjs. And make this guys sweating a bit more. I understand if someone works on a game in his free time, (this is challenging ) but not if someone is just to lazy to read some tutorials out their and work for a high payed project.  

Kill the capitalism, back to the roots. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 4:30 AM, Vousk-prod. said:

Great news, but I think there is no need to rush, since all browsers will (as usual) take time to fully and natively support WebGL 2.0, probably still a full year... But I can be wrong, that would be awesome ! How is Edge roadmap on that ?

Officially enabled by default in both Firefox and Chrome now. Microsoft appears to be the only hold out... again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @Deltakosh ,

Any news for 3.0? Could you please let me know a roughly release date (  for the stable version ) ?

I'm building a big thing with BJS v2.5 for a long while, and the launch time should be about Mid Aug -- Sep.  Since I'm currently facing some PBR issues in 2.5 which are mentioned here,  I'm just wondering if I can ignore them for now and just wait for the 3.0 release, or  I should fixes them myself and keep using the 2.5 because when I go launch the v3.0 won't be there.

Thank you :)