Introducing Draco: compression for 3D graphics

ozRocker

"The Chrome Media team has created Draco, an open source compression library to improve the storage and transmission of 3D graphics. Draco can be used to compress meshes and point-cloud data. It also supports compressing points, connectivity information, texture coordinates, color information, normals and any other generic attributes associated with geometry."

Full article here https://opensource.googleblog.com/2017/01/introducing-draco-compression-for-3d.html

• 1 month later...

I just wonder what the starting point that is being used for those graphics.  (Much easier to improve when you suck).  For instance, are they starting from identifying unique vertices like Blender / 3ds Max exporters already have? This makes your data size drop off a cliff.  Are they starting with bone matrix indexes already packed?

One thing I have found is just calculating the normals on load is really fast (& 100% size reduction).  Blender exporters have a 'Defer Normals' checkbox.  I have made it the default of the Tower of Babel variant.  Think it should be changed to the default on the JSON variant too.

Not hating, but those type of improvement cannot be related just to compression.  It probably involves a lot of data reorganization / representation changing.  I looked at this earlier.  I do not really remember it, but just recently reorganized my representation of shapekeys. Size dropped by about 50% with very little extra cpu to load.  Think I was inspired looking at that code.

22 minutes ago, JCPalmer said:

I just wonder what the starting point that is being used for those graphics

@JCPalmer: I think you make a good point Jeff :)

From personal experience, with my "Blue Lady" creation, was that the .babylon file size went from around 6.9MB (in 2014) to 2.66MB (2016) just due to improvements in the Blender Babylon Exporter that you carried out over that time period.

cheers, gryff :)