Host your own website (for free?)

The_dude8080

One suggestion would be to set up a web server and host it in a machine at home. Of course that may require you to buy something to host from if you don't want to keep your home computer running 24/7. I host from my Raspberry Pi 3 :P Of course that has some limitations depending on what will be on your website. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2017 at 7:49 AM, jonteferm said:

One suggestion would be to set up a web server and host it in a machine at home. Of course that may require you to buy something to host from if you don't want to keep your home computer running 24/7. I host from my Raspberry Pi 3 :P Of course that has some limitations depending on what will be on your website. 

Seems interesting. I guess that you need to have in mind the processing power of the machine that hosts the server. If the server is under huge traffic it would require a powerful one. Right?

9 hours ago, The_dude8080 said:

If the server is under huge traffic it would require a powerful one. Right?

Yes, but it depends! :)

If, for example, your game is just a client side game and all your server is doing is punting out some assets (images, css, html, js etc) via apache/varnish/nginx/whatevs then each of your servers is effectively stateless (barring the asset versions) so you can scale horizontally i.e. spin up more instances, which might well be more effective and cheaper than throwing money at upgrading a single instance. Many tools/services out there (such as AWS etc) can help you do this pretty easily (and handle routing traffic to each instance, using a variety of methods), but you're moving away from the realm of free now.

You can scale horizontally if your servers are doing more than just serving, but it requires a bit more planning.

If the server is under huge traffic it would require a powerful one. Right?

If you end up with huge traffic then processing power won't be your only concern. Is the upstream pipe from your house fat enough serve files to that traffic? Probably not. The upstream pipe is much smaller for most homes than the downstream pipe. And, what happens when the electricity goes out? How long long will your site be be down if the hard drive or motherboard dies while you're not at home? IMO, it's well worth sending a few bucks to a web host to avoid those issues and more.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to add something usefull but I can't. It is true what others say here. Either way you host your own webserver using NodeJS or Apache (xampp or wampp), or you buy a webhost. There are free alternatives yes, and I also recommend starting with those. But once you are growing you'll find yourself in need of something better. And not to worry, not all webhosts cost a lot though. In fact, mine cost 12 euros for 6 months. That's bloody cheap! And you really get something amazing for it. So it is up to you. But if I may give you a little bit advice, do it local first with NodeJS or Apache. Build the entire thing in there first and then upload it to another webserver. Good luck with it!

Don't make home server for your site. I'ts not a problem to setup apache or nginx there, problem starts after you will realise that you need a monitoring system. and most worst things is if in 6 month when you hasn't touched config you would need to rollback a backup on crashed machine =).

Github should be good for static content, you can use static site generator like Jekyll. fi you will have a huge traffic i think you can use cloudflare. and if you need serverside, i think azure, playfab and another one has free plans which should be enough for first time, and if you get tons of request, i think you will have money for pro subscription.