[WIP]Where to go? LORD clone

klylxmaster

Like many of my gen (back in the BBS days) I felt it would be nice to bring a game or two from that world, to the browser world. With some of the cool tricks you can do in HTML5, it became quite easy in some aspects and a little tricky in other aspects. I have (many times) rewrote LORD, from scratch - and no source code to follow - just various places around the net and my personal time in the original game - to php/sql and php/flatfile, but never released it, although Seth did check out one of them and said it was better than many he has seen-and that was an older version of mine. due to a mistake on my part switching drives (I have 5 HDD totally many TB)  I lost lots of projects - one of my drives got wiped - LORD being one of them. After I saw some cool things with html5 - I started one back up again a few years later (last year to be exact).

My question, Where can I post it for testers? How about if I want to know more about html5 to make it more enjoyable - as it sets it is STRICTLY a text game - to keep with the spirit of the original. Although much of it will be changing. I was gonna post all the info here, but after reading the posting requirements and see the examples - it doesn't look like it would be a good fit here - which leads to my 2nd question, where on the net do they have a browser game support and gallery?

Hi @klylxmaster

I've never played LORD but I am a fan of retro (and very retro!) gaming so I'd certainly be interested in seeing what you've come up with when you've got something out there in the wild.

Regarding your HDD failure, consider using a git service, such as Github (or Gitlab, or Bitbucket etc etc), they are generally free (even for some private repos, although this project sounds like it should be a public open source project) or very cheap and would give you a good dose of resilient against hardware failure with numerous other benefits too.

Regarding posting your game out into the wild, I'm not sure of any places that can take your code and will post it to a url for you but its very easy to manage yourself. Github (and the other providers) generally give you a url for your project, connected to your repository, that you could post a client-side only game to, more than suitable for small/medium projects and testing, you can't do anything with the server though so if you wanted to secure it you'd have to do some sort of auth clientside (so, not really secure, but might be enough, although, if you did go down the open source route why bother hiding it behind auth anyway?).

There are many cheap providers out there that can host your stuff though, there are numerous threads here about possible providers for you, I'd recommend going the semi-manual route and grabbing an instance from DigitalOcean or AWS. You'd have to manage setting up the server (to a degree, although there is a wealth of documentation for doing so) and deploying your code but once you've done it once then its a very easy procedure (depending on your experience of course). By managing the server you get more flexibility over how you do things, if you did want to hide it behind auth then you could set up apache/nginx/varnish/whatever to do simple basic auth, or maybe your game needs some backend services, if so you have the power to do whatever you need because you (mostly) control the boxes running your code.

"... if you shoot and miss - don't blame the target" LOL

boy did I miss :-)

I did not aim correctly (convey what I was looking for)...

To address your post first, I normally have svn (not a fan of GIT since none of my projects are big enough to warrant such a complex system. The next two paragraphs in short - I run my own servers and host my own sites (its cheaper LOL). However, since a few of the projects were unfinished, or were just a "squirrel" effect of my ADD, saving elsewhere was not an issue - mainly because I RARELY, and I do mean RARELY wipe drives (I was installing linux for dual boot - nuff said right?)

I guess what I was trying to ask in a long winded way, is can post my project here since it does not have graphics like many of the other HTML 5 projects do here. My "text-based" game makes use of many of the HTML 5 features (datalist was a biggy) but thought I would ask first, and then what section would it go into?

thanks