Fog is closer at center of view

fenomas

Hi,

I'm trying out the fog feature in a scene, and having trouble getting it behave in a way that makes sense visually.

The trouble is, linear fog is much stronger in the center of the viewport than at the edges. E.g in this demo - at first you should see a certain number of cubes directly in front of the camera, but if you rotate the camera you'll be able to see a further cube that wasn't visible initially.

I assume this happens because fog distance is being calculated as distance from the camera along the camera vector, rather than just distance from the camera.

Is this a bug, or a feature, or something that can be worked around? Thanks!

1 hour ago, jpdev said:

Even as if you look down (move the camera angle towards the ground) more cubes become visible

Yes, that's the same issue. The cubes appear or disappear depending on how close they are to the camera vector (either horizontally or vertically).

It is not a physical fog but a distance fog.

Distance is computed here:

https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/Shaders/ShadersInclude/fogVertex.fx

As you can see the distance if from the vertex to the camera (on z axis). 

It is fairly easy to change it to len( (view * worldPos) ) which, I agree, makes more sense