[NEW] A website for indie games, please support!

StuffBySpencer

May I ask why you need 500 dollars to start this up? I'm pretty sure you can get a good domain name + good servers for less than $150(Not 100% sure about that though). If your serious about it you should invest in it yourself, instead of relying on other people which will probably disappoint you. Mainly because it sounds very unreliable i.e you don't show any prove that you'll actually do anything with the money.

A website like this (gamejolt) already exists, sort of. It distributes games for free, using advertisements to cover costs and pay the devs.

It's somewhat medium sized, and has a reasonably strong reach into the indie community, so keep in mind that there are already competitors there.

And really, unless you can offer something different, I really don't see any reason to commit to this. : /

That said, steam normally just takes a cut of sales, which is very standard practice for publishers/distributors. In fact, if you're partnering with EA or the like (*shudder*) they'll actually pay up-front for your development costs to help you put out the best product possible. (Normally at milestones though, read the fine print)

And lastly, you mentioned steam and the like, which focuses entirely on downloadables, where this is a html5 forum. Yes, you can pack html5 games into native apps/cross-compile them, but this may not be the right forum for this. ( I did just join to reply to this, so /I/ may be in the wrong forum )

And if you actually ARE looking for on-website games, you're going to be competing with almost EVERY single game portal, even the flash ones, because desktops. ( And there are SOOO many of those! D: And for some reason, none of those pages have a contact page. Figures. )