Candy Fall ( complete )

ScSupaplex

Finished my second game for HTML5. 

post-5714-0-26237900-1388686254.jpg

UPDATE - TUTORIAL ADDED: db.tt/RayiFO7U

Simple match3+ game, connect same type of candies, the more you connect the more time and higher score multiplier you get. 

Music in game is just temporary from my old project :D

I hope you'll enjoy it ! 

Its available for publishing btw :)

Nice and simple little game!

The graphics are cute pretty and well-made. But I think, however, that the edge of the buttons on the main menu could be a bit darker, or maybe use a backdrop. Right now they kinda blend in with the background too much.

I realize that you said the music is only temporary, but, yeah, I don't think it really fits with the joyful theme of the game.

Overall, though, it looks like a game well-suited for mobile, and it will probably earn you a couple of bucks! :)

The gameplay is very similar to that of my game Aquatic, which I assume you've taken inspiration from. At least this isn't a blatant clone.

So you decided to start off his topic by saying he copied your game (and also promoting your own game). How generous of you. Not like matching games are that original to begin with.

I also decided to check out the games on your site, and, guess what, a lot games look like they are very inspired by other games (that I know for sure were made before your games) as well - some even close to being rip-offs!

But really though, I don't think it matters that people make games "inspired" by other games. It might be to expand upon an idea you like, or maybe, if you haven't made many games, just a way of learning (a lot of people are doing this)! But don't blame other people for doing it when you're doing the exact same thing yourself.

(Sorry for going so off-topic in your thread, ScSupaplex!)

True Valhalla - Yes, there may be a few similarities. 

Imnotreal - Thanks alot, ill see what can be done about the buttons, thanks for suggestion :) Also i've just removed the music, still not sure if its worth it to make any sounds for the games yet. 

hilty - I might add some instructions to the main menu, thanks for suggestion. 

Yes, too many to be a coincidence...and I know you've read my blogs and seen my work in the past. Anyway, in the future please come up with your ideas from scratch.

I've seen far more than that, enough to see that wherever you go, you argue, whatever you do, it brings up conflicts..

So iam not going to argue, not going to question you, only going to say you this:

Yes i got inspired, same as you did many many times. 

My game is a bit more sophisticated, and visuals looks better as well. 

I have not copied your game, by the way, where did you get the background for Aquatic ? I would swear i've seen it somewhere before... 

You're getting more worked up about it than I am. I didn't say he copied my game; in fact I said at least it wasn't a blatant clone.

But by all means, go ahead and argue with yourself.

I think he was referring maybe to your choice of words, "at least it wasn't..", implying that you obviously think the OP has crossed a line. Your later reply also shows this.

I'm not taking sides in any way, but I think maybe Imnotreal is right on the money with you being at least a bit annoyed with this? And maybe rightly so, this is a tricky subject.

So whats there to argue if you are so 100% sure it is based on aquatic even after i told you that yes i was inspired by that game ? 

Your attitude about this is the problem here, you insist on winning some sort of arguments that you try to bring up or something ? 

Well good, then you are the winner, congrats, whatever are you doing, leave me out of it, iam not hiding anything and never was. From the beginning i told you that you are correct. 

Have you honestly ever noticed and thought about the approach you have on various forums ? 

We are not your enemies, no one is, humans aren't bad, or evil.. but some people just WANT to see them that way, god knows why.. 

I'm not arguing at all. I'm only responding to you at this point. This is a discussion forum last time I checked.

And if you want to talk about my "attitude" on this forum, go ahead. I'm saying exactly what I want to say. I'll be glad to respond further if you want to talk about the finer aspects of my forum etiquette.

Well do you have anything to say about the game? Besides ofcourse what was solved here already? Some sort of constructive criticism, help me to become better developer.. Because i believe thats what this forum is about. Thanks.

That's not true. I've had my games (even website) blatantly copied several times in the past, so I've decided to call people out when it happens. I'm not saying your copy is blatant - I haven't even called it a copy - but it's clearly based heavily on Aquatic. It's the details that give it away so I'm going to argue about whether it is or isn't, because I know it is.

Yes, too many to be a coincidence...and I know you've read my blogs and seen my work in the past. Anyway, in the future please come up with your ideas from scratch. Good luck with this one.

So you've had your games copied in the past, and you don't think people should do that. You also think people should come up with their own ideas. But doesn't the same thing apply to you? Or are you saying that only you can take ideas from other games?

Sure, of course I am. Everything else Imnotreal said is pretty much rubbish though.

Rubbish? I'm guessing you're (mostly) referring to the part where I said that you have games that look like they have been inspired by other games, right? It's really not hard to see the similarities.

You have game called "Flip Duck", a game that's very similar to "Gravity Duck" (link). Both games use the game gravity-changing mechanic, they both feature a duck as the main character, and in both games you're supposed to collect eggs. Even the titles are almost the same!

You also have a game called "Bubble Pop", a game where you're supposed to click on groups of bubbles, and they get destroyed which give you points. Yes, very original! It's not like these kinds of games have been made before!

And what about the memory, battleship, tic-tac-toe, and the sudoku games? I guess they are completely original ideas of yours as well?

I'm not taking sides in any way, but I think maybe Imnotreal is right on the money with you being at least a bit annoyed with this? And maybe rightly so, this is a tricky subject.

You know, I would have had more empathy for True Valhalla about this matter, if it weren't for the fact that he does the very same thing! I can't handle hypocrisy.

As much as I'd love to spend 30 minutes writing up a reply telling you where you're wrong and why, I honestly can't be bothered. I've made my points, and if you can't tell the difference between directly copying a game and using a common gameplay concept you're a lost cause anyway.

No no no no no no, you are not getting away from this again, i've seen this scenario so many many times, i dont want it to end up like always, especially in MY topic. 

As usual you come, change someone's topic completely about YOU and YOUR games and make up conflicts that only support this, great marketing if you ask me, making people take sides, give them something to argue about and one way or another both sides whether they like it or not, know about you, your game, and your popularity somewhat slowly rises, intentionally or not, doesnt matter, thats how it works. 

It's the details that give it away so I'm going to argue about whether it is or isn't, because I know it is.

So not long ago you've said you are going to argue about whether something is a copy or not, and suddenly when your games are accused of being copied, you run away. 

So i kindly ask you, please explain this to us. And before that let me try a certain theory

You said that "Flip Duck" was made by a partner you work with.. - "This game was created by a partner I work with; I publish his work on his behalf. " 

I guess that partner would be "Wobly" from newgrounds.com who made gravity duck ? 

Then we've got the bubble game, there are so many bubble and color cube games, its all new genre, and imho so is the aquatic and candy fall game, a whole "new" genre. 

What about the catch game, "sky drop", another very very common genre existing for a very very long time, examples: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/490760   |   http://www.akidsheart.com/holidays/easter/eggcatch.html

You once again, lets say got inspired by a common and fun genre and recreated it for yourself, by your politics its a copy or very close inspiration of those games, and thats okay ? 

Imnotreal is right, by actual "evidence" you are doing even far worse things than just getting inspired, i didnt copy your game, i used the genre, i changed it the way i liked it, gave it a spirit, created exactly how and what what is supposed to work, mechanism of everything. 

Dungeon Sweep - nothing else than just a classic ROGUE game with rpg elements. Thousands of those if not more done far far before you... 

So now go ahead, and explain it to us, i dare you to do so. Defend your work, else you are just as well a guy who rips off someones work and hypocrite to it.. 

Thanks. 

Obviously there is a lot of disagreement here, but let's all do our best to keep it from going out of hand.

I think this topic is interesting, perhaps it deserves its own thread/this thread deserves to not have this discussion here, but I'll another of my five cents anyway:

Anyway, in the future please come up with your ideas from scratch.

Here TV is ordering the OP to be creative in another fashion in the future. I'm not sure it works that way, that every morally correct made game is an idea made from scratch, whatever that actually means.

So where is the line drawn? When is plagiarism plagiarism, and taken too far? In this case opinions definitely differ.

Personally I've held grudges towards the company known as Zynga, mainly because of their CEO's attitude and, IMO, the company's blatant plagiarism.

An interesting question is "when does an idea become a genre"? Imagine the first person that came up with the "match 3"-genre seeing it copied for the first time. Would the reaction have been different from that of TV's? Today, making your own match 3 game doesn't mean much within this aspect.

Let's assume that the defining aspect of this game genre is multiple symbols and the objective of matching the symbols by touching at least two of them in succession to score points.

Was TV the first one to come up with this? What happens if someone else comes up with the idea first and plans to make a game like that, but TV beats him/her to it? Who's right then?

I've personally had several ideas of my own, amalgamations of other good game ideas, that I've seen come to life elsewhere, after the fact that I came up with the idea. Then I can choose whether to think "damn I thought of it first but they acted quicker" or "they probably had the idea of their own before me and thusly made the game faster than me".

I have no words of wisdom here but I know who usually does, and that is Daniel Cook of Lost Garden.

If you find the topic interesting I suggest you read up on his awesome blog: http://www.lostgarden.com/search?q=plagiarize

Nice game, grats

There are 2 things, I would improve, if I were you: 1st already mentioned, tutorial... get inspired with other games ;)

Second thing is, that I would break lollipops into two objects (textures) : lollipop and the stick.

Transparent area around the stick is quite large which makes picking of underlying candy impossible. 

Nice game, grats

There are 2 things, I would improve, if I were you: 1st already mentioned, tutorial... get inspired with other games ;)

Second thing is, that I would break lollipops into two objects (textures) : lollipop and the stick.

Transparent area around the stick is quite large which makes picking of underlying candy impossible. 

Thank you ! :D 

About the transparent area, noticed it as well, but lollipop doesn't actually have the transparent area around it as an object, that was taken care of, so a bug is something a little bit different.. 

I think it happens only with the jelly candy, ill see what can be done about it :) 

i wonder how someone can tell someone else should be original in an industry that consists 98% of clones.

just the grade of cloning is slightly different.

once i copied a game i never saw before and was really suprised when a friend told me about the other game.

this means its possible that someone already had the idea somewhere, regardless of what you create.

telling someone his game is really similiar to your own, is totally okay.

but please dont tell someone that he has to come up with his own ideas when its not 100% the same game (including graphics or style).

just take a look at your own portfolio...

jeez, if you had quit after your second post it would had been so smart!

about the game:

sometimes i cant connect all candies cause they disappear to fast, this happens mostly at the beginning (maybe im to slow with my mouse?)

TrueValhalla went on to accuse someone else.

Bad publicity is publicity after all, I guess.

As soon as we request answers he just runs away tho ?

I've seen this happen many times on various topics and forums, about games, his book, html5... Every time argument comes up, he changes the topic to be about HIS game and himself, and after some time he just leaves it that way and stops responding... Great.

Rubbish? I'm guessing you're (mostly) referring to the part where I said that you have games that look like they have been inspired by other games, right? It's really not hard to see the similarities.

You have game called "Flip Duck", a game that's very similar to "Gravity Duck" (link). Both games use the game gravity-changing mechanic, they both feature a duck as the main character, and in both games you're supposed to collect eggs. Even the titles are almost the same!

I'm the creator of Flip Duck.

I can tell you for a fact that it is no clone of Gravity Duck... and I'll explain why.

1. I had never played Gravity Duck, until now.

2. Flip Duck doesn't use the exact same gravity mechanics as Gravity Duck. Mine only has up-and-down gravity, whereas Gravity Duck also sends the gravity to the left and right. My game also has unique elements and secrets that are not ever seen in Gravity Duck. Anyone who plays the 2 games can see that they have a wide range of difference.

3. Gravity Duck is a flash game and uses arrow keys, and not finger controls. I created the control scheme myself.

Candy Fall cannot boast of these 3 defense explanations.

1. The creator has admitted to being inspired by Aquatic.

2. The mechanic of touching candies/fish and matching them by 2 or more is exactly the same and nothing new has been brought to the table.

3. Aquatic, being the game cloned, was not originally a flash game, the control system is exactly the same as in Candy Fall.

One other notable detail that displays that Candy Fall is a clone is the timer at the bottom, it's very much like the timer on the bottom of TV's game, Aquatic. Anyone who can play both games will see clearly that Candy Fall is merely a re-skinning of Aquatic.

I do not think that all cloning is bad. I have cloned some games myself. But the clones I've made were never used commercially to make money, and I only cloned the games because I wanted to put a different spin on their ideas(also, I always give credit to the original game that I'm cloning). There is a huge difference between putting a new spin on an idea and putting a new sKin on an idea.

I hope I've made myself clear. Try to be original with your games or you're bound to get the kind of flak from it that you're getting here.

I can tell you for a fact that it is no clone of Gravity Duck... and I'll explain why.

You do realize this means nothing, right? How would anyone besides you know if this is true? 

3. Gravity Duck is a flash game and uses arrow keys, and not finger controls. I created the control scheme myself.

You're arguing that your game can't be a clone because yours is an HTML5 game, and "Gravity Duck" is a Flash game? What kind of argument is that? And you also made your game work on a touch-screen instead of a keyboard, but I don't know why that would make it less of a clone either.

2. Flip Duck doesn't use the exact same gravity mechanics as Gravity Duck. Mine only has up-and-down gravity, whereas Gravity Duck also sends the gravity to the left and right. My game also has unique elements and secrets that are not ever seen in Gravity Duck. Anyone who plays the 2 games can see that they have a wide range of difference.

This is the only real argument here. Sure, there are the few small differences that you mentioned, but the most important part is that they play differently. The gameplay and level design are different.

So while I do think you took inspiration from "Gravity Duck", I think your game is different enough to not be labeled as a clone or a rip-off (although, I personally think you could have made your game look a bit less similar).

As much as I'd love to spend 30 minutes writing up a reply telling you where you're wrong and why, I honestly can't be bothered. I've made my points, and if you can't tell the difference between directly copying a game and using a common gameplay concept you're a lost cause anyway.

What about your game "Split Ball"? Here it is compared to the classic game "JezzBall":

orv4uw.jpg

Is that just "using a common gameplay concept"? No, that looks like a straight off rip-off to me.

And then you also have a game called "Spaceflight Controller" (or "Space Controller", as you call it on your website), which has the same gameplay as "Flight Control". In both games you guide certain moving objects into landing zones, while making sure they don't collide with each other.

So not only are you doing the same thing as you're accusing OP of doing, but you also make these unoriginal games like sudoku, memory, and bubble pop games. And then you say that people should come up with their own ideas from scratch. Do you not realize the hypocrisy in what you're saying?

And, yes, I realize that you haven't made all of these games yourself, but you're still profiting off of them - you don't seem to have any problem with that!

This is getting ridiculous...

Maybe it is, but I think it's an important discussion to have.

These are easily the worst 3 arguments in history! How old are you, btw?

Dude next time you clone, change the graphics/theme, it's so easy to do! Do a panda that collects leaves, for example. Flippy Panda!