[GREENLIGHT] Relic : Tale of the Undead Princess, retro 2D action-adventure

Refeuh

Hi all,

I am here to present Relic : Tale of the Undead Princess, a retro 2D action-adventure game. On the menu : Greenlight, trailers, playable demo and upcoming release !

1489082584-relicgif.gif

• OVERVIEW

The princess is dead... But she is back ! The last hope against evil forces. Help her explore the realm and succeed where all heroes have failed.

Relic : Tale of the Undead Princess is a retro 2D action-adventure game, with a fine blend of exploration, puzzles, secrets and challenges !

• GREENLIGHT

Support the Princess on Steam > Relic on Greenlight < 

I am not asking for "likes" it, but if you enjoy the concept and gameplay, a little help is always welcome. Thanks :)

More resources on the Steam Greenlight page : trailer, screenshots, features and playable demos.

• DEVELOPMENT

I work alone and I handle the programming, production, game design, level design, QA and misc art assets ; for everything else (main tilesheets, sprites, music) I license asset packs from artists and asset stores. Full detailed credits in the game.

- Estimated play time : 8~12h, depending on player experience and game completion
- Game size : ~200 playable screens
- Team : myself !
- Development time : ~1 year, from scratch
- Platforms : Windows 7/8/10, Linux (tested on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
- Release date : TBC ~ Spring 2017

• TOOLS

- Tech : The game is developed in TypeScript, using VSCode and SmartGit. It is using the Phaser engine, in its latest pre-CE version, 2.6.2. On top of which I add my own gameplay framework, a json data-driven Entity-Component-System architecture.
- Art & design : I'm using Pyxel for misc pixel art and Tiled for the level design.
- Production : handled with Trello and Toggl, plus a collection of ad-hoc prod assets.
- Shipping : The application is packaged with NW.js to deploy as a desktop executable.

Thanks for reading - I hope you will enjoy Relic : Tale of the Undead Princess !

On 3/16/2017 at 11:38 AM, Gio said:

Just noticed this on Greenlight and voted Yes :)

I really like the retro style and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to play. Good luck with it

Many thanks ! It's hard to keep a dynamic without a big community, so anything that helps is greatly appreciated :) The artists will be pleased about the art feedback !

8 hours ago, PixelPicoSean said:

Supported, good luck :)

BTW. I'm also making a Zelda-like with kinda open world in mind, your game is very inspiring.

Thanks, 'much appreciated ! If I am not mistaken, I believe we talked about game frameworks, ECS infrastructures, data-driven entities, etc. a while ago ; have you posted / presented your own project ? I'd love to have a look too !

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the feedback received from the demo, I am currently working on an update. Nothing major, but a collection of small things that will improve the overall player experience and that will benefit both the demo and the final game. All the details in the next few days when the update is ready !

15 hours ago, LGV said:

Thanks to the feedback received from the demo, I am currently working on an update. Nothing major, but a collection of small things that will improve the overall player experience and that will benefit both the demo and the final game. All the details in the next few days when the update is ready !

Looking forward to the new update :)

On 3/18/2017 at 4:23 PM, LGV said:

Thanks, 'much appreciated ! If I am not mistaken, I believe we talked about game frameworks, ECS infrastructures, data-driven entities, etc. a while ago ; have you posted / presented your own project ? I'd love to have a look too !

Yep we've talked about tons of concepts before, and that's exactly what gives me the idea of making a game like that. But I am still experimenting with that, only ugly placeholder visual elements, will post something when I made more progress.

The Princess gets an update : new version available !

Lots of small tweaks : balancing, gameplay, user-friendliness, etc. No major changes, but a collection of things contributing to an improved player experience.

All the details / changelog on the Steam page - the updated Windows and Linux demo builds are available for download as well.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/878251355

• 1 month later...

To improve overall legibility of the game environment, I recently updated most graphics assets - New sprites easier to identify, consistent contours on solid objects, less noise on background tiles, silhouette more representative of the hitchecks, reviewed level design and multiple environment tweaks

Before/after preview :

On 5/19/2017 at 3:20 PM, oksana said:

Wow! You are cool, how do You manage to do so much work alone?

Thanks, ah ah :D Well, keep in mind most of the art assets (environment, monsters, music, etc.) are purchased from artists / stores - on the art side, I only do the "occasional" sprite tweak, missing tile, sfx edit, etc.

As for "everything else", I have a long professional background in game programming and production ; so being organised and getting the technical aspect to work is the "easy" bit. That leaves design and marketing, where I'm learning the most, but also struggling the most... Trial and errors :)

In the end, it's mostly a matter of time - I didn't start from scratch in terms of knowledge, and I've been working on this project full time for more than a year, now.